Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to thank this forum for all the info it has on buying saxes. My daughter had played alto for a couple of years in middle school but had dropped it after 6th grade. When she went to High School she decided to join the band. She didn't have her own sax so the school found a loaner Bundy II till she got her own. She really didn't like it but it kept her playing while we started shopping. Looking at Craigslist we found one that looked promising. When my daughter went to try it she didn't like it. But more importantly the seller was a local band instrument repairman and he had a stack of instruments from some of the local school in for repair. He had a side business of picking up and fixing saxes for sale but at the time that was the only alto for sale. So at least we had found a reputable person to repair a sax when we buy one. This is when we started doing more research, especially on buying a sax and what to look out for on this forum.

I didn't want to spend a lot on her sax in case she dropped it again (first year high school can be chaotic) but I didn't want to buy a piece of junk either. We ended up finding a Vito Yamaha YAS 21 stencil for $100 on craigslist. There was some spotting in the lacquer but everything seemed to be working. I would describe it as a 20 footer, meaning it looks good from 20 feet away ( kind of like a cars body work). We took it to the person who repairs equipment and for $50 he was able to get it into good playing shape.

After playing the Vito for the first year she started to comment that she didn't like the tone of the Yamaha stencil. She started looking for a new sax and read some good things about the newer Jupiters. There was Jupiter Capital edition CES 760 Alto for sale at a Music Go Round for $400, but it wasn't nearby. About a month later we had to visit relatives that would take us near the store. It was still listed. So my daughter tried it out and she really liked it. She did a little negotiating and got the price down to $300 because we knew it had been there for awhile.

One thing that happened while were shopping for her first sax was, we visited on person who was selling many different saxes. One she really like was the sound of King Cleveland 660 ( I believe) but the seller was a little strange and when we went to look at it, the price was higher than what was listed in the add. This bothered my daughter and I knew if she wasn't happy with the sale she would never be comfortable with the instrument. About a month after buying the Jupiter I made the mistake of pointing out an add for a King Cleveland 613 for $150 that look in good condition. When she saw the add I got "the look" why are you sitting there? We should be in the car to go look at it. So we went down and met a very nice elderly lady who was selling her sons high school sax. When we opened the case my daughter couldn't believe it, the thing was mint. There wasn't a scratch on it. Either the son never played it or took extremely good care. Needless to say we ended up with a third sax.

So now my daughter has;
The Vito, she can leave at school for practice and marching band in inclement weather.
The Jupiter is her go to sax for performances
The King Cleveland is her fun sax

Some might say that I could of put this money towards one intermediate sax but she is still a student and the saxes she has will are good for her skill level for now.

I've also learned from this forum. One can't have too many saxes.

Thank you again for your help. I've been a long time lurker first time poster.

sorry for the long post.

Tom

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Congratulations on getting a nice stable of altos for your daughter for a very small total investment. Good shopping.

I had a King Cleveland 613 back in high school and college, and it served me well. It wasn't my very first saxophone (check out my user name), nor was it my last, but that's the horn that made a clarinetist into a saxophonist for life. I wouldn't be able to appreciate the Selmer and Yanagisawas that I have now if not for the work I put in on that old King (now on long-term loan to a family member).

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's always nice to have more than one. One might start leaking, so you still have one while the other is being repaired. Also, use the cheapest one you have for marching band. Kids run into each other, drop their horns and worst.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I played a King Cleveland 613 alto all through high school. Wish I still had it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts