Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played a wedding gig on Sat night and the trumpet player, who is very good, was texting during the rests. Then I look over and he's taping one of my solos.

In the five years I've been a school teacher and not a musicain has the world gone insane?

PS My last ever day as a classroom teacher is May 27th. I tried but if I have to give up my horn I'll die. I've been so drepressed this year I've lost over twenty pounds and I had to put safety pins in my suit to make the gig.

Thanks for the support from you folks over the years, letting me vent and keeping me honest. I mean that. There are many special people here.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Texting or checking your phone on the bandstand (or in rehearsal for that matter) is taboo, as far as I am concerned. Unless, of course, there is some sort of emergency.

That trumpet player deserved a slap on the back of the head!

Hang in there! There are always positives to focus on! :)

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I'd be more pissed at someone taping my solos.

Texting or talking on the phone is unprofessional behavior.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Completely unprofessional behavior. Even if you don't sound like it, it makes you LOOK like a bunch of amateurs.

·
Registered
887 Posts
A couple years ago I was in a band with a bass player who did this. But he didn't stop playing to do it, just kept his left hand working. And he was sexting. And showing the rest of the band the conversation in the middle of the set. Classy.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miles said Trane would pick his nose when he was on junk

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
But he didn't stop playing to do it, just kept his left hand working. And he was sexting.
Sexting? You mean he was playing pocket pool on the stand?:shock:

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I gig once in awhile with an LA session drummer. He told me that texting is very important. Contractors will text a bunch of players, and the first one that texts back gets the gig.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I wonder if he ate what he found up there? :white:[rolleyes]:mrgreen:
Usually when they're high on junk people don't eat. That's why junkies are so skinny.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't text on the bandstand but at party gigs where it won't be noticed by people I will often pull out my phone and record part of somebody's solo, nobody in the band minds.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Last time something like this happened, I asked to borrow their phone...and then left it in my van on top of a shop magnet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally, I've never thought it was even sort of okay to do that. I mean, when it's time for a gig, or even practicing at home, it's time to do that. Adding a phone into the mix adds one more unnecessary distraction to an already too distracting world. It's unprofessional, and does make an impact on the playing, in that the person is thinking about the conversation, not the gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
NO.

I think no matter what the gig, it's no good. I saw a NAME bari player texting on a gig more than once and I lost total respect for him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I can beat that. I actually played with some guys where the guitar player got and TOOK a phone call during a song. Stopped playing to do it. Last gig I played with those guys. . .

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm indifferent when others do this, but sentiments like these:
William Bua said:
If I were the band leader, I would have fired his a%# on the spot and played lead the rest of the night.
are certainly shared by many people, so I would never pull out my phone at a gig, in a formal rehearsal, etc. I know lots of players that I respect greatly who are offended if people (participants) text at jam sessions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts