Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to be a sophmore next year and i was supposed to be going to bothell high school in washington and i worked really hard to get my parents to stop thinking about stupid IB so i could to bothell. i was a part of the band there even though im not a student :D (its a 10-12 school and i was in 9th) now we are moving to houston and i have a choice to pick any school near there that i want. besides the performing arts schools does anyone know of any high schools with decent jazz bands? i hate marching band so i really dont care about that. i really need to know cuz im moving in like 3 weeks....

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
What do you mean you have a choice? As far as I know, that's not how it works unless your parent are going to purposely move into an area zoned for a specific school. I lived in the Alief ISD which, at the time, had only two high schools. Coming out of middle school, we were randomly drafted to one of the schools (they're both very large schools right next to each other) and I couldn't have gone to the other one if I wanted to (although I went to private school). Also, Houston is a VERY large city. In terms of land area, it might be the largest city in the United States. So, even if you can choose your school, it'd be nice to live nearby.

Now, on to your question.
MacArthur - North of Houston - Aldine ISD
Kashmere HS and the Conrad Johnson School of Arts (predominantly black school if that matters) - North Houston - Houston ISD

I don't know about their jazz programs But these schools have all been named GRAMMY Signature Schools within the last 5 years.
Klein Oaks and Klein Forest - Northwest Houston - Klein ISD
Langham Creek - Northwest Houston - Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
Clear Lake - Southwest Houston - Clear Creek ISD
Katy - West of Houston - Katy ISD

My college band did a recruiting tour and we played at Klein Forest. REALLY nice facilities there.

Of course, HSPVA is one of the best fine arts high schools in the country.

Oh, and you're moving to Texas! High school football (and consequently marching band) is a way of life down here.

You may want to check out JazzHouston.com to solicit more opinions. Or you may want to contact Warren Sneed, director of the jazz program at HSPVA. I'm sure he knows more about the jazz high schools than I do. It's worth e-mailing him even if you're not planning on attending HSPVA.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
IB is cool. Schools with IB are known to also have bands...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
A word of caution. I went from Hawaii where we (at the time) didn't even have athletic marching bands, to Texas for college and made the fatal error of telling the band teacher the first week of school that I wasn't interested in marching band and to just let me know when auditions for concert band came around. Cat threw me out of his office! Told me not to come back.

If I were you, I'd keep the MB opinion to yourself until you get to know your colleagues better.

Regarding Cashmere, I'll never forget seeing them get off a bus years back at a MENC national conference. Unlike most of the other "kids" in the various bands, the Cashmere folks got off of their bus wearing turtle-neck sweaters and suits and with a mature confidence. It was more like watching Basie's band disembark than a bunch of HS kids, LOL. These guys took their stuff seriously.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Yes, WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SAY YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MARCHING BAND!!!! If you want to make friends don't do it. Invest in a big Water jug, a hat, and some sunglasses. You'll need them anywhere in Texas. You'll like marching band, escpially as a Saxophone player. ;)

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
If you have any taste in music and are mentally sound, you will loathe marching band, but you will make some good friends. But most programs will make you do it anyway, unfortunately.

And what is IB?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
International Baccalaureate program.

Quite rigorous, I understand.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
http://www.ibo.org/diploma/

My sister-in-law taught math in an IB program at her school. When my wife was on sabatical to write a book (she's a psychologist/statistician), she lectured/tutored stats once a week for her sis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys! and yeah im probably better off with keeping my opinion to myself. up here in washington marching isnt that serious. the only reason i wont attend HSPVA is because i didnt have a chance to audition.

so i should contact Mr.Sneed at HSPVA and look into Kashmere?

thanks again for the advice

and also i think my parents were looking into a house near katy but we havent really chosen a house yet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lamar High school is a mostly IB School with a good jazz program.Also Waltrip High school has one of the the best jazz program in HISD besides HSPVA.Westside High School and Bellaire High school Have really good programs as well.There are alot of schools a little outside of houston that have an extremely great general programs like Cinco Ranch High School, Klein Forest, Klein Oak High school, and there are a couple more...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
coltranefan510 said:
so i should contact Mr.Sneed at HSPVA and look into Kashmere?

thanks again for the advice

and also i think my parents were looking into a house near katy but we havent really chosen a house yet.
Go ahead and e-mail him and get his impression. He's a pretty laid back guy and I don't think he'll mind.

Again, I'm pretty sure that if you live in one school district, you won't be able to go to school in another simply because your parents won't be paying taxes that go to that particular school district. That's something you really should have your parents check out. You could have little, if any, choice depending on where your parents buy their house.

Katy is a good school. I haven't heard their band (I haven't heard a lot of HS bands) but I know that they at least bring in guest artists. They did a concert recently with local sax legend Larry Slezak who's the jazz director at Rice University.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts