Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Owch!!

In the Mood?? Yipes why did I click on it? How could you do this to me, on a Sunday morning? Geez, I haven't even had breakfast yet.

It hard to tell, but, it could be that they are ALL playing Martins.

Sometimes, back then, a leader would get a endorsement deal and the stipulation was EVERYONE in the band had to play that brand. (an old guy that played in the big bands told me that, once) Its kinda like a, how, nowdays, a college basketball coach gets a deal with a sneaker company & the whole team wears that sneaker.

Its funny, when you think of how much people take equipment so seriously these days, and HAVE to play a certain horn, mpc, etc.

It could be, if you look at the tenors trading, they all look like the same horn--its hard to tell without close-ups

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
At least you don't play In the Mood six nights a week like those guys had too (at least I hope you don't).

I loved the clip, especially all the corny stage business (tossed bones anyone?). I play with a guy that played with Harry James in the late 40's, and he said there was all sorts of stage business. He says he was gettin' paid, so he didn't mind.

·
Banned
32 Posts
hakukani said:
At least you don't play In the Mood six nights a week like those guys had too (at least I hope you don't).
Yes, I did...in the Miller band, for aprox. 6 months, about 12 yrs ago---I've tried my best to repress those memories, but when confronted w/a clip like that....its like having flashbacks about 'Nam in 1968:)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
Yes, I did...in the Miller band, for aprox. 6 months, about 12 yrs ago---I've tried my best to repress those memories, but when confronted w/a clip like that....its like having flashbacks about 'Nam in 1968:)
EEEGAAADS, my apologies.

I feel the same way about the musical 'Cats'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,120 Posts
has to be some kind of endorsment deal -no way 5 sax players all would be playing the same sax. -unless they are all mk6

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
Did you find a way to stay awake all the way through Moonlight Serenade?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts