Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't the response I was looking at the altissimo forum, so here I go.

For you, altissimo tenor experts, is the Junior Walker's solo at Foreigner's Urgent Ab4 enough?

Lets talk about musically usage, not "I once hit it" and please, I beg you, leave Lenny P. away from this, that is a different planet.

I am an altoist, and I am curious what is considered among you, Rock and Roll and Blues tenorists (I think you double in number us Rock and Blues altoists) consider a reasonable top of range.

For my understanding, the first C on the horn is a C1.

Thanxs for taking the time.

All the best,

JI

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Between an Eb4 up to a F4 on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes I just squeak out Super High Notes to match the tumpet guys. I use to be able to do the Lenny-glissando-into-dog-range thing. Sound guys use to think is was feedback - I switched off the wedgy metal mouthpieces and found that the effect was doing something REALLY BAD to my lips.

I'm not sure playing high is enough - it's more important to make the entire instrument regardless of range feel natural and fluent.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
A Greene said:
I'm not sure playing high is enough - it's more important to make the entire instrument regardless of range feel nature and fluent.
I would like to say "Amen, brother" but since i'm english and that wouldn't feel right i'm just going to say: "You're absolutely bloody right. Thank you".:)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
I usually go no higher than D4, since I have trouble controlling anything above that. Sometimes I go higher by accident and it either works great of sounds awful, depending......

I'm with A Greene. It isn't stated often enough that altissimo is somewhat overrated. I see it as a very important spice, but not the main dish. I do use it, but when I sense I'm going up there too much, I put the brakes on and play the next couple of solos without it. Lenny Picket is one of the few who can maybe (just maybe) serve it up as the main course, but for most of us, playing a lot of altissimo is a sure way to get on the audience's nerves in a hurry. An occasional well-placed high note or foray into the high range is extremely effective but it gets old if you over-use it. I realize the topic here is "how high," not "how much," but it's all relative. Sometimes G3 or A3 can be way more effective and stunning than E4, if you play it at the right time & place.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I lose control above an Ab4, but expressiveness starts to fade away above C4. I feel like R'n'R is all about expression, so if all you can do is squeak out a note, there's not much point in playing it. However, that's not to say that altissimo is a gimmick or an effect. I don't agree with people who think that the saxophone has a "natural range" that ends at F3.

I know we're talking tenor here, but to build on JL's last post, when I first started listening to Sanborn, I was really surprised to realize that his most intense "wails" were not actually that high - sometimes not even out of the normal register. (I'm thinking about The Dream in particular) He's really great at playing an E3 and making it sound like the highest and most intense note you've ever heard. Learn from Sanborn!

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting, and for example, "Simply the Best"

I can't tell the note, but sounds pretty high to me, what note is it? I know it is a tenor... I am talking about Tina Turner's "Simply the Best"...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
I regularly play G3 on my soprano. I am getting up to A3. I think that I don't really need to go further up on the soprano. I once reached an F4. It sounded absolutely ridiculous. It was like a dog whistle.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
F4 is generally enough, but sometimes I get excited and 'bite' a higher note, especially if I'm dancing in the crowd.

We all do.
Come on, admit it.

It's like 'how many licks to get to the tootsie roll center'. One, two, <crunch> three.:D

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Why is is that every time I see this thread on the new posts list that I wonder why someone is asking terrorists the top of their rock & roll range???

:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
946 Posts
fballatore said:
Why is is that every time I see this thread on the new posts list that I wonder why someone is asking terrorists the top of their rock & roll range???

Me too. I think it's conditioning from watching too much Fox News.
Terror Alert Elevated!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I have a new approach to fair and balanced. I go to Fox News, and then to Al Jazeera, and average the two.:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
hakukani said:
I have a new approach to fair and balanced. I go to Fox News, and then to Al Jazeera, and average the two.:D
Fox News. Ahhh, that would be the politburo for the current group of Bozos What Be In Charge.
Just to stay sorta on topic, my altissimo s*cks. A3 on a good night...(sigh)

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry... but why?

fballatore said:

I really do not get the sense of this. With all respect, I do not find it funny.

All the best,

JI

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
zorroperro said:
I really do not get the sense of this. With all respect, I do not find it funny.

All the best,

JI
Tenorist and terrorist look very similar with some fonts. I made the same mistake. Frank chose to comment on it. It is a joke.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Zorro -

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It's exactly as Hakukani says.

Frank

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I regulary hit the F# that is two octaves above the fork F# at the top (or just above, depending on vintage) the standard range of the horn whenever I'm forced to play "Play that Funky Music" (I Play the F#-E punches up there at one carefully chosed climax of the song). According to this site it would be F#8. http://www.wfg.woodwind.org/sax/sax_alt_6.html

What I don't understand about your methodology here is if low C is C1 then what is low B and Bb and A? And the where is the break (at A, Bb, B, or C)? I don't mean to nit. It's just hard for me to relate as to what it would equal. I think it would be F#6?

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buddies, we are like family!

All the best for all of us. Lets talk sax.

JI

1 - 20 of 62 Posts