Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tenor version of this M.C. Gregory?

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Midnitesax 
#1 ·
Is there a version of the M.C. Gregory Model A 4A-16 for tenor sax?
Or is that just an alto mpc? Thanks!

Sulyen

#5 ·
#6 ·
model a has an "A' next to the tip opening number.. the brass ring was just applied on the later models and continued on the "master " model..
if it has A next to the tip number it is model "A" if it has B it is model "B"..
these refering to the Los Angeles models (this is what I think about them, not 100% myself)

#7 ·
The M.C. Gregory Model-A mouthpiece has a "Model A" designated on the top of the barrel, as well as a brass band on the shank. The "A" or "B" in the number...such as "5A-18M"...refers to a baffle configuration. I was turned onto this when Doc Tenney corrected me about it...and he would certainly know about it than I would.

Those without the brass band on the shank are known as the "Los Angelos" model and are considered inferior mouthpieces to the original Model-A.

The "Master Model" did indeed have a brass band on the shank, sometimes, but it was a differnet kind of band. On the Model-A, the brass band had a small bit of hard rubber on the very tip of the shank, past the brass band...the "Master Model" did not have this small tip of hard rubber at the very end of the shank.

Saxaholic

#8 ·
Yep, mine has a brass band with a bit of HR at the end, says Model-A and says something about 'Rico'.

#12 ·
sulyen said:
Thanks for the info, folks. So I guess what I'm asking is is there a tenor mpc baffle configuration MC Gregory that corresponds to the 4A-16 on the alto?
I would assume that a 4A-16 on tenor would correspond to the alto piece. I've never had a chance to compare, however.

#13 ·
hakukani! man where were you when i was on the big island? the ship i was working on was there for 3 days or so last year (a few weeks before the quake). musically i was bored to tears! i was hoping to find some saxy nightlife, but was stuck at some @!%##* all-night disco club. how IS the music scene on your big, beautiful island? ... ... oh yeah... 4a-20

#14 ·
Geez. there's an all night disco? You musta been on Kona side. I stay away from there, too many tourists.;)

Next time you come here, you let me know.

#15 · (Edited)
M.C. Gregory

I'm not sure if they made a small chambered, (16) Model A in the tenor.

I've got a Model A 4A 16 for alto, I just blistered through "Take 5" this evening so if you see smoke coming off of it, please just disregard.

"C"

There's an M.C. Gregory Model A 5A 20 for tenor up for auction on ebay right now, I think it's at about $36.00 last time I looked. I think the Model A's are vastly better than any of the M.C. Gregory models that came afterward.

#16 ·
So there's a 4A-18 and a 4A-20 for tenor...if any old timers out there know how I might research the possible existence of a 4A-16 for tenor your advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to produce as velvety a tone on my Buffet SDA as possible. Thanks!

Sulyen

#17 ·
Am I wrong or are folks confusing Gregorys vs. McGregorys here? I thought the Master model was only made by the former, no?

I have 3 Masters made by Gregory - Hollywood:
5-18M tenor 4-digit serial # on top
5A-20M tenor (about 1/2" shorter) much earlier 4-digit serial # on top
5A-20 bari 4-digit serial # on top
all with gold band and slight protrusion of HR past band

Also 3 McGregorys referencing Rico/Los Angeles in a diamond icon:
5A-18 alto 5-digit serial number on top
5A-18 tenor much earlier 4-digit serial number on bottom
6A-20M tenor 5-digit serial number on top
no bands but 4 rings at the shank

#18 ·
Sorry, had 2 typos. To clarify:

my 5A-20M Hollywood Gregory bari did had an "M" in the chamber designation; and

my 6A-20 McGregory (or M.C.Gregory) tenor did NOT have an "M" in the chamber desgination.

Important distinction, I believe. Does anyone have an M.C. Gregory out there with an "M" indentifying the chamber?

#21 ·
Midnitesax said:
Dude, I have no need to buy anything from you. I have some of the nicest Gregorys and M.C. Gregorys around. What's with your tone?

My point was my Gregory Hollywoods have brass bands and an M designation next to the number. The M.C. Gregorys I own have no bands, only 4 lines around the shank and no M. I see references in this thread that run counter to that, including your own. We're sharing info here; there should be no attitude.
My apologies, I thought you were the OP. I was getting frustrated and confused reading yours. I'll edit my previous post.

#22 ·
Midnitesax said:
My point was my Gregory Hollywoods have brass bands and an M designation next to the number. The M.C. Gregorys I own have no bands, only 4 lines around the shank and no M. I see references in this thread that run counter to that, including your own. We're sharing info here; there should be no attitude.
The Model A MC Gregory that I have, with the brass band, is the earliest MC Gregory. That is according to the old Theo Wanne mouthpieceheaven site, which is no longer up to use as a reference. It is not a Gregory Hollywood.

It looks similar to the alto MC Gregory that is pictured in Scott C's post, which is like the one that Desmond used, until he switched to a meyer.

#24 ·
I got my MC Gregory quite by accident. I needed a tenor to play in a community band about 15 years ago, and I found a school selmer signet tenor in a flea market. It didn't have a mouthpiece, so when I had the local tech look at it, I asked if he had some used mouthpieces for sale. He brought out a drawer with some old hard rubber pieces, and I tried them out. The one that sounded the darkest was the MC Gregory. I had never had mouthpiece GAS, so I didn't know anything beyond berg, link, selmer, Rousseau,and meyer.

I asked him how much he wanted for it. He sold it to me for $15.

I was playing it here in the Hawaii county band on an old bundy that I got for parades, and one of the clarinet players recognized it, so I looked it up on Theo's site, and found out how old and 'vintagy' it was.

It's still the darkest sounding mouthpiece I've ever owned, and it is my main piece on tenor for concert band/legit/orchestral playing.

#26 ·
Uhhh, I have another story. I was rehearsing in that same community band. On one piece I played alto. It was a 'jazz' piece, so I was using my Meyer 5m (not NY). After rehearsal,I turned around and jammed the meyer into a concrete pillar in the rehearsal room, breaking the tip. After cursing, a clarinet player friend said he had an old alto piece that he would give me. I stopped by his house, and he gave me what I now know is a slant sig Fla. 6*. He didn't like it because he thought it was too 'open'. Stuff like this happened a lot before ebay...

I think I owe money to the mouthpiece gods.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.