Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,293 Posts
Midnitesax said:
Dude, I have no need to buy anything from you. I have some of the nicest Gregorys and M.C. Gregorys around. What's with your tone?

My point was my Gregory Hollywoods have brass bands and an M designation next to the number. The M.C. Gregorys I own have no bands, only 4 lines around the shank and no M. I see references in this thread that run counter to that, including your own. We're sharing info here; there should be no attitude.
My apologies, I thought you were the OP. I was getting frustrated and confused reading yours. I'll edit my previous post.

·
Super Moderator
26,293 Posts
Midnitesax said:
My point was my Gregory Hollywoods have brass bands and an M designation next to the number. The M.C. Gregorys I own have no bands, only 4 lines around the shank and no M. I see references in this thread that run counter to that, including your own. We're sharing info here; there should be no attitude.
The Model A MC Gregory that I have, with the brass band, is the earliest MC Gregory. That is according to the old Theo Wanne mouthpieceheaven site, which is no longer up to use as a reference. It is not a Gregory Hollywood.

It looks similar to the alto MC Gregory that is pictured in Scott C's post, which is like the one that Desmond used, until he switched to a meyer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, Hakukani; no worries. Very interesting about your MC Gregory. I never knew that the early ones wore the brass band as well. I've seen the bandless versions with either 3 or 4 (painted) rings. But, yes, very dark pieces.

·
Super Moderator
26,293 Posts
I got my MC Gregory quite by accident. I needed a tenor to play in a community band about 15 years ago, and I found a school selmer signet tenor in a flea market. It didn't have a mouthpiece, so when I had the local tech look at it, I asked if he had some used mouthpieces for sale. He brought out a drawer with some old hard rubber pieces, and I tried them out. The one that sounded the darkest was the MC Gregory. I had never had mouthpiece GAS, so I didn't know anything beyond berg, link, selmer, Rousseau,and meyer.

I asked him how much he wanted for it. He sold it to me for $15.

I was playing it here in the Hawaii county band on an old bundy that I got for parades, and one of the clarinet players recognized it, so I looked it up on Theo's site, and found out how old and 'vintagy' it was.

It's still the darkest sounding mouthpiece I've ever owned, and it is my main piece on tenor for concert band/legit/orchestral playing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
$15?! U da man! I love it when lightning strikes like that. Few and far between. Great to hear those stories. Gives us all hope of hitting the next lotto, or at least the next dirty old link slant languishing in the corner of an old musty case at a garage sale.

·
Super Moderator
26,293 Posts
Uhhh, I have another story. I was rehearsing in that same community band. On one piece I played alto. It was a 'jazz' piece, so I was using my Meyer 5m (not NY). After rehearsal,I turned around and jammed the meyer into a concrete pillar in the rehearsal room, breaking the tip. After cursing, a clarinet player friend said he had an old alto piece that he would give me. I stopped by his house, and he gave me what I now know is a slant sig Fla. 6*. He didn't like it because he thought it was too 'open'. Stuff like this happened a lot before ebay...

I think I owe money to the mouthpiece gods.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's it, I'm moving to Hawaii; as if I don't have enough reasons already....
I know you have a home shrine to those gods littered with old candles. But I'm wondering where you find the virgins to push into the volcanos. None to be found here in LA....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.