Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a much-loved Lebayle Studio 7* mouthpiece on my tenor.

What opening etc is likely to suit me on an alto?

If you feel able to suggest a make of mouthpiece, so much the better. I'm an "if it ain't broke" sort of chap, so I'd like to find the right mouthpiece and stop looking. Any pointing in the right direction would help; I can then start testing them myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,063 Posts
On tenor a 7* is pretty middle-of-the road, which is what I prefer, too. So you probably want to go a similar route on alto. My alto piece is an .085, which is probably the equivalent of a Meyer 7, maybe 8. Meyers are, of course, the standard go-to of alto mouthpieces, and even though I've never liked them much, thousands of people sound great on them. So maybe you could try a Meyer 6 or 7.

I'm a huge fan of Morgans, so if you can find a Morgan Jazz or Excalibur in either 6, 7, or 8, with a medium chamber, you'd have a great piece on your hands. Yay alto!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I played quite many years only alto. And had propably most of the time Meyer 5M (50's model).
Then changed to tenor (only) and played at first on STM Link 5* (Florida) and later another Floridan Link STM, this time a 8*.

I worked hard and got on well and wanted an alto again. Only to find that my old mouthpiece preferencies didn't do it anymore.

So in order to be able to play both alto and tenor on the same gig and even in the same tune I had to find a smaller opening mpc for tenor and a smaller chamber mpc for alto.
The combination was not ideal but it worked. The mpc brands were nothing to be recommended but overall concept worked.

In my case it was a .090 metal small chamber piece for tenor and a .085 hr small chamber piece for the alto. The music I played at that time dictated much noise on the stage so both pieces were high baffled.

YMMV, but I experienced intonation problems when trying to play alto immediately after tenor when using the Meyer on the alto. With the small chamber high baffled cheapo alto piece it went like dancing.

My horns were Selmers. Tenor Mk 6 and alto Mk 7. My first alto I bought in 50's. It was a Mk 6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts