Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has played Alto for a number of years on a Meyer 6 with a 3 reed and wants to know what a comparable tenor tip opening would be advised

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My guess would be a 7 or 7*. My preferred reeds are the D'Addario Jazz Select 2 Hard or, depending on the MPC, the Rigotti Gold. Keep in mind that it is the combination of things not the individual component that makes it a working solution.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I am in agreement with lostcircuits above. A 6 on alto and a 7* on tenor are fairly middle to the road when it comes to tip opening ranges.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You have asked an interesting questions and the responses are that you should go from “middle of the road” to “middle of the road”

Consider, however, that an Meyer 6 Alto tip opening is the same as a Meyer 5 Tenor tip opening (about .076). Given that you will need a looser embouchure on the tenor, you might want to consider not increasing your tip opening (with a 7 or 7*), but rather to maintain your tip opening with a 5. (The larger the tip opening, the more difficult it is to maintain a loose embouchure....)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Since the tenor reed is longer and wider, and the mouthpiece window is also (usually) longer, it doesn't make sense to use the same exact tip opening - it too should be a little larger on tenor than on alto, to give a similar blowing experience. However, I would recommend a 6* on tenor rather than a 7*. I know that 7* is "the standard" on tenor, and that's what I play on most mouthpieces too, but it's noticeably more open feeling than my 6 alto piece. For me, to get the same "feeling" on tenor I would use a 6*. (The fact that I don't want the same feeling is irrelevant!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
You have asked an interesting questions and the responses are that you should go from “middle of the road” to “middle of the road”

Consider, however, that an Meyer 6 Alto tip opening is the same as a Meyer 5 Tenor tip opening (about .076). Given that you will need a looser embouchure on the tenor, you might want to consider not increasing your tip opening (with a 7 or 7*), but rather to maintain your tip opening with a 5. (The larger the tip opening, the more difficult it is to maintain a loose embouchure....)
And what would you recommend for someone who plays a .056” on sop?

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
Bjroosevelt;3781590(The larger the tip opening said:
I don’t agree with this statement. Maintaining a loose embouchure depends on the embouchure muscles, not the reed or tip opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Uh, the numbers are relative to the size of the horn in question. So a 6 opening on alto would be akin to a.... wait for it... 6 opening on tenor.
There’s a spoiler in every group... :twisted:

Hey, Grumps! :bluewink: :borg:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I’m not so sure.
I play a 10 on Tenor with 2.5 reeds but I wouldn’t have a chance at blowing a 10 on Alto.
I use a 6-6* at best on alto also with 2.5 reeds.
But I like a 7 on Soprano.
Interestingly I asked a similar question regarding tenor and soprano openings.
Many seemed to like a considerably smaller or more closed tip on soprano VS tenor, comparatively speaking.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
I’m not so sure.
I play a 10 on Tenor with 2.5 reeds but I wouldn’t have a chance at blowing a 10 on Alto.
I use a 6-6* at best on alto also with 2.5 reeds.
But I like a 7 on Soprano.
Interestingly I asked a similar question regarding tenor and soprano openings.
Many seemed to like a considerably smaller or more closed tip on soprano VS tenor, comparatively speaking.
I agree, there is no need to assume you use the (relative) same size alto/tenor.

Plus, unless you are discussing the same make/model mouthpiece across the different size instruments it's less meaningful anyway as tip size is only relevant when the facing curve is also part of the equation.

So I use 5 on soprano, 6** on alto 9* (or 11) on tenor and 7 on baritone (all with 2.5 or 2.25)

There is no equation or pattern involved.

However attempting to answer this question:

A friend has played Alto for a number of years on a Meyer 6 with a 3 reed and wants to know what a comparable tenor tip opening would be advised
You might say (for jazz) then the traditional "typical" might be Meyer 6 on alto and 7* plus on Link like tenor.

But then again you might not, especially for other genres.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts