Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing alto for a quite a while and going to be picking up a tenor.

On my alto, I play a 6M (Meyer size). What do you think would be an appropriate tip opening for tenor? A while ago, I played a Brilhart Tonalin 4* and that felt good but I know the brilhart's can be a bit inconsistent as far as tip sizes go.

I know the "standard" size for an alto is usually between a 5-7M. What is the "standard" size for tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,650 Posts
Try a 7. (Meyer size) and go from there.
You may want one a little more close, or a little more open depending on your playing style.
This is where you get to have fun!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I see most people on tenor play somewhere between 6-8 (Otto Link openings).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
On alto the Meyer 5-7 is the popular choice
On tenor the otto link 6-8 is the popular choice (as jazztenor posted)

If you're new to tenor I suggest you simply get a rubber link 6* and then go from there.

·
3,875 Posts
To get more specific. I think the most popular on alto is in fact a 6 (about .075") and as I understand it, a modern 6 is the same opening as an older 5 which is what guys like Cannonball and Phil Woods used. The post popular on tenor is a Link 7* (.105").

·
Registered
299 Posts
To get more specific. I think the most popular on alto is in fact a 6 (about .075") and as I understand it, a modern 6 is the same opening as an older 5 which is what guys like Cannonball and Phil Woods used. The post popular on tenor is a Link 7* (.105").
From reading around the forum here and Ralph Morgan's article, I believe a modern day Meyer 7 is equivalent to a vintage Meyer 5. Just wanted to set the record straight.

·
3,875 Posts
From reading around the forum here and Ralph Morgan's article, I believe a modern day Meyer 7 is equivalent to a vintage Meyer 5. Just wanted to set the record straight.
I went back and looked at that article and you're right. It says that a vintage Meyer 5 was .080" which is closest to a modern 7. My mistake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.