Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, SOTW! I made the first video in a series I'll be doing demonstrating the use of guitar pedals with saxophones (or any other wind instrument). I'm a massive nerd for guitar effects pedals and blending them into a saxophone sound has been an intermittent project of mine for almost a decade. This video features the extremely cool Space Spiral delay pedal from EarthQuaker Devices, who rule. They make VERY fun and great-sounding pedals with a focus on innovative new sounds rather than rehashing vintage sounds (although they can do that too, and very well). Check it out:

https://youtu.be/-F_vNPipkao

I'm planning to do many more of these with lots of different fun pedals in the future, but something that might be even more relevant to this forum could be how to get guitar pedals working with a saxophone in the first place. I've tried many different combinations over the years, starting with the most basic way possible: slapping an XLR to TRS cord onto an SM58, running straight into the pedals, and from the pedals straight into a guitar amp. It's crude and noisy but gets the job done.

These days I've refined it to a point where the signal is much better sounding, easier to control, and much friendlier to live sound engineers, and it's all thanks to a wonderful preamp and effects loop made by Radial, the VocoLoco. If people are interested I can go into detail about that via a video or text, too, so just let me know!

My tenor setup for this video is the same as it's been for quite a while now: Yamaha 82z, Macsax Bob Sheppard 8, Rigotti 3.5M reeds, Vandoren Masters lig.

·
8,275 Posts
I dig effects too, but most of that is a little too goofy - but you never know what you might discover. I was most impressed with your tone and playing, which is excellent.

·
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much! No amount of pedals will help a fundamentally bad sound, that's for sure.

I do actually use the Space Spiral for live shows with my band (Progger), but I leave that "Depth" knob nice and low so there's just a little bit of creamy beautiful modulated delay happening. The zany outer space sounds can be cool for some sound design stuff or the occasional psychedelic freakout, but I agree that it'll be pretty rare to find an opportunity to really crank it up!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Doing a similar thing with a Mixing Link from Eventide. Though I'm not running through a lot of pedals, just a Q-Tron and then a vocal effects box for reverb and some basic harmony stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cool!

Is it an idea to start a thread for this kind of thing in the electronic equipment section?
I could add too :)

O

·
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool!

Is it an idea to start a thread for this kind of thing in the electronic equipment section?
I could add too :)

O
You should! Electronic effects open up whole new worlds of fun and inspiring territory, and they're still pretty under-served in the wind instrument department. It took me a long time to find a signal path that works for live and studio applications, saxophone-pedal-wise, so I think it could help players starting to get into it if we have a thread where people can share their experiences. There are a few threads like that floating around but it would be cool to concentrate it, or at least discuss it more with modern equipment in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts