Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering having the tenon on a YTS-62 neck expanded from its current 27.45 mm. outer diameter to 27.92 mm. diameter, to fit my Grassi tenor's receiver. Is this doable, or too much of a stretch? (no pun!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sidepipes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,994 Posts
Definitely, .5mm is in the zone.

Before you do that, though...are the necks similar in bore, taper, length ? Or are any of those significantly different ???

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Placed side to side they look quite comparable. I think I'll give it a try. JayeSF, do you have any recommendations for someone in the San Jose area to adjust this for me?

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
I am not a tech or a sound/ physics guy, but someone posted this and, though odd, it seems to ring true. I pulled out all my tenor necks (7 at the time), and did this test. Remarkably, all but one of the necks were within 5-6c of each other. The neck that was different was the one that I really didn't like on either of the two horns it fits on. One tenor and its neck had too small a tenon/ receiver to try out while interchanging necks, but the neck pitches were the same as the other five common ones...Laugh if you will, but it seemed to work in my case.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
Would have been awesome if I had included the link I was referring too...[rolleyes]

Here you go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sidepipes[/QUOTE]

Before you have the tenon expanded just try wrapping some plumbers tape or even paper around it --this way you can check compatibility/intonation /tone. Visual observation can be very deceiving. My guess is that the bore dimensions of the Grassi differ somewhat from the Yamaha.

·
18,994 Posts
Placed side to side they look quite comparable. I think I'll give it a try. JayeSF, do you have any recommendations for someone in the San Jose area to adjust this for me?

Thanks for your inputs.
Gabe at Allegro Music in Fremont...he works Saturdays, too....

Before you have the tenon expanded just try wrapping some plumbers tape or even paper around it --this way you can check compatibility/intonation/tone.
Not a bad idea if it can work, w/o getting the tape to run up and crinkle in the receiver collar....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Plumbers tape as mentioned above is good to see if its really what you want as an interim.

·
18,994 Posts
I am not a tech or a sound/ physics guy, but someone posted this and, though odd, it seems to ring true. I pulled out all my tenor necks (7 at the time), and did this test. Remarkably, all but one of the necks were within 5-6c of each other. The neck that was different was the one that I really didn't like on either of the two horns it fits on. One tenor and its neck had too small a tenon/ receiver to try out while interchanging necks, but the neck pitches were the same as the other five common ones...Laugh if you will, but it seemed to work in my case.
Well...I like the concept...but wait, though. Even the fella says "as a candidate" neck. Not as a final choice.

I would need to see/hear the comparisons noted here (i.e. fundamental tones on the neck) followed by the neck ON the HORN itself....

I don't actually think just doing the video's test would lead you to a neck which intones the sax correctly.....although I would be inclined to believe it narrows the field....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
0.5 mm, you could actually turn an ABS bushing and just use it. I have done this for grossly mismatched mouthpieces.
btw, I'm in Palo Alto, and could expand that for you...just a warning, though, it will be difficult to get it back down in size without pulling the tenon off and annealing it a little. I have had these crack before taking them up and then down 0.5mm (although worse the other way...down then up). Contact me via email (shmuelyosef is also my gmail address) if you want to arrange a time.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would have been awesome if I had included the link I was referring too...[rolleyes]

Here you go.
Interesting video! Fortunately, the YTS-62 neck and a Grassi Jade neck produced very close responses, including the overtone whistle test.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree with shmuelyosef.

And re "0.5 mm, you could actually turn an ABS bushing and just use it..."

Good idea!

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shmelyosef resized the Yamaha tenor tenon over 0.4 mm., polished the tenon and receiver, reworked the octave key and tang for proper engagement, and now I have a very playable horn.

Thanks for working me in, doing a super job with a great turnaround!

Sidepipes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Decent of you to post your response and credit shmelyosef

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Yes, thank you. It's amazing how hard the brass in the Yamaha tenon was....

Glad that it works for you.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shmuelyosef, sorry for the misspelling! I hope my playing is better than my typing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts