Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined a community band after loooong hiatus. They just got "Orilla del Mar" which has a protracted tenor solo, but only lists chords. I don't have that improvisational skill - how do I create a solo? I heard a guy do one on you tube but couldn't possibly transcribe it . . . thanks if you can help -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just joined a community band after loooong hiatus. They just got "Orilla del Mar" which has a protracted tenor solo, but only lists chords. I don't have that improvisational skill - how do I create a solo? I heard a guy do one on you tube but couldn't possibly transcribe it . . . thanks if you can help -
Thanks for the reply - these are the arpegios for the chords in each measure? I'll look up the chords and see, thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Practice with the youtube recording, ignorring the soloist, using a combination of ear and harmonic knowledge to get comfortable playing the solo, paying special attention to those sections of the tune that are consistently problematic, getting into chord tone and scale analysis where your ear can't solve it. I have played this solo.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Get a good sound and play eight notes with a good time feel. No matter what notes you play everybody will think you really know the tune and you are just playing outside. Otherwise, just move your fingers until it sounds like jazz. There is an over recorded pro sax player that a lot of people admire on here that does that. A goatee helps but is not required.
Or you could fudge around with your reeds a lot and scowl at your mouthpiece so if you sound like **** you can blame it on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions all ! Sadly my goatee growing skills are matched only by my improvisational skills. . . perhaps a beret will help - Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts