Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 43 8XXX tenor from 1987 has a peculiarity that I always wanted to inquire about: When looking inside the tube, one can see a tiny tube protuberance (see photo). This is what is holding the venting hole that opens when playing G with the octave key. For 30 years or so that piece of tube was soldered to the body of the saxophone . Now it is only holding because of the spring from the octave key pushing the pad against it. The second photo shows me pressing the tube from the inside, You can see the pads being raised as a result of that. I was hoping to get answers to the following questions:

1) why would Selmer design the sax with that tube inside? I am sure there is a reason. It does not seem to affect the sound as far as I can tell...

2) Do other Super Action II Tenors or Alto have the same characteristic? could someone at the factory have missed a step in the production process?

3) Should I take the horn to a shop to have it soldered again? that newly moving piece is not going anywhere but I am worried about a possible leak

Thank you!

Eye Fluid Wood Iris Eyelash
Musical instrument Rim Nickel Gas Auto part

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
1) why would Selmer design the sax with that tube inside? I am sure there is a reason. It does not seem to affect the sound as far as I can tell...

2) Do other Super Action II Tenors or Alto have the same characteristic? could someone at the factory have missed a step in the production process?

3) Should I take the horn to a shop to have it soldered again? that newly moving piece is not going anywhere but I am worried about a possible leak
1. All saxophones has a protuding tube for the octave pip. Some tubes are longer and some are shorter.

2. What do you mean?

3. Definitely have it soldered! It is a probable place for leaks and you also don't want it to fall off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. All saxophones has a protuding tube for the octave pip. Some tubes are longer and some are shorter.

2. What do you mean?

3. Definitely have it soldered! It is a probable place for leaks and you also don't want it to fall off.
Thank you. I love your web site. I did ask as my Dolnet M70 does not have that protruding tube.

For 2) you did answered in 1).

Thanks for taking the time. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It protrudes to prevent water running down the inside of the bore from seeping into the small tube and making it gurgle. If loose it means you have a leak and need to get it re-soldered.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts