Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone had ever face a similar problem? I have a Selmer Tenor Mark VI (france edition without New York - Elkhart London wording on the Bell and also without serial number on the neck). The thing is that I cannot play easily subtones or low notes (with other saxes I had no problem) I discover that correcting the neck angle the blowing is very easy, but also find the Matt Stohrer database that shows that the correct angle should be 50mm or 54 mm. The thing is that the only way I got the sax for easy blowing is with the angle over 65mm. (see the picture)

I also note that the serial on the back of the octave key scratched in by hand, but the digits are not the same of the sax.

The sax was checked with a very good technician, but never solved the problem of the easy blowing on the low notes.

Anyone have and Idea if this is normal?

Thanks for your advice!
Eduardo View attachment 210153

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,414 Posts
Your neck doesn't look unusual to me. Just wondering how they are jacking that thing up 10mm without it looking strange.
Sometimes when saxes are finished but before they are shipped, they will swap necks around to see if they can create better matches. They did this in Elkhart so I presume they might do it in Paris too.
I would recommend a different tech if possible. Your neck may not be fitting properly or there could be a problem in the sax clamp collar. Maybe the other tech missed a leak when he was working on it.
The MK VI tenor is known to be funny on the low notes and mine is no exception. It sounds about like yours and sub-toning the bell tones is not easy. I play pretty hard and use a big mouthpiece with a soft reed, which helps one get over/blow through problems like this. Not to say you should live with it, but I bet your techs have not checked a number of known trouble spots.

I thought of something else - if your tenon is a little short or is cut on a slight angle, it will throw off that measurement. I don't think that measurement is very precise. Whatever, if the neck adjustment has contributed to easier playing, I wouldn't worry about why it needs the bend. I wouldn't mind getting my original neck turned up a little because I know the first curve (behind the cork) has been worked-on because of damage and they left it a little flatter than the standard 'late' neck. I found this tends to make it harder to hit high tones with authority.

Another thing you can do is put on a new neck cork and sand it so the mouthpiece goes on at a slight upward slant.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Hmm - I listened to that example, and it sounds to me as if your horn is leaking :)

It's not clear to me, are you or your tech changing the angle of the neck? Or is it just that this neck has a steeper angle? I'd be worried about continually bending the neck...

I'd check first, as 1saxman points out, for leaks around the neck, and elsewhere of course. Also check spring tensions on the side Bb and C keys and low Eb - I once had an issue with low notes due to the side Bb blowing open.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@1saxman: thanks a lot for your comments, hearing that up to 10mm is not strange took away my fears. I have just experiment with more opening and I helps A LOT! Now I feel it is very gentle and easy blowing. I can easily get the low B in subtone that was previously awfull. I feel that this change on the neck change my sax entirely. I'll post another picture and sounds later. Again, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@skeller047: thanks also for your comments. This is the first time I bend the neck, and now I feel that is a new sax (easy blowing). Also for the overtones that never came out now are almost a piece of cake. As you mentioned, I'll check with other technician and look for leakings.
Another interesting point is that, before bending the neck, when I blowed on the sax, I can hear the air making strange noises inside, now that is gone.

·
Registered
647 Posts
"Matt Stohrer database that shows that the correct angle should be 50mm or 54 mm."

Where can I find this database?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts