Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was hoping to get an advice on fair purchase price for a 1952 SBA tenor Relaq. I haven't purchased a horn in years and seems that eBay prices are all over the place.
I'm considering a 52' sba tenor, needing an overhaul. It plays just ok now, and I'm sure could be made better after a an overhaul. A few dings and a pretty bad relaq in my opinion (yellow ish with a fair amount of buffing).
The Relaq doesn't bother me, and It seems that purchasing a relaq today might save a bit of cash vs original lacquer.

im just confused on what a fair price is for a horn like this today? Im not looking to sell it in a few years, just give it to my kids after. But defiantly don't want to get ripped off etc.

Thank you for all your advice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,874 Posts
it depends much on the buyers.

Collectors would shy away but players may not.

I think that, given the rarity of SBA tenors you couls still get prime money despite being a relacquer. €7500? I don’t think it would go for more than €10.000 in any case.

Despite what one would be lead to think given histoical sales there is no guarantee that a horn like this in future will appreciate more than it is now. It should but it may be a Tulip Mania thing.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
It depends on what part of the world you are in. Here in the US, relacq SBAs go for $6000 to $8000 depending on mechanical condition and how good the relacquer was done.

I have sold about 10 in that price range over the last few years at work. We've tried to price over $8k and they just sit and sit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,434 Posts
'It plays just ok now'

You might want to move on. True, it is generally possible to resurrect most anything but sometimes the cost outweighs the value. There could be really bad reasons it's not much of a player now; one would be a bad neck. Add another $1000 for a good Super Action neck if you can find one, or possibly $300 to have the old one rebuilt. Having been buffed, the tone holes could be dished and require 'pulling up' and leveling. In short, gambling that the price of a professional overhaul, $1200 if nothing is really wrong, will turn it into a player is a bet I wouldn't take without a real close professional appraisal. You can get a really great tenor sax for $8000-$10000 plus a pro overhaul.l

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
'It plays just ok now'

You might want to move on. True, it is generally possible to resurrect most anything but sometimes the cost outweighs the value. There could be really bad reasons it's not much of a player now; one would be a bad neck. Add another $1000 for a good Super Action neck if you can find one, or possibly $300 to have the old one rebuilt. Having been buffed, the tone holes could be dished and require 'pulling up' and leveling. In short, gambling that the price of a professional overhaul, $1200 if nothing is really wrong, will turn it into a player is a bet I wouldn't take without a real close professional appraisal. You can get a really great tenor sax for $8000-$10000 plus a pro overhaul.l
I bought this original SBA from SOTW with a Manny overhaul included for $10K. No way a relac is worth $8K.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fq56WA1WAD_xj_JjFs2NYiulN14tjAO

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi.
You really have to take each horn on it’s own merits.
A. How it plays
B. The quality of the Re-Lacquer
C. The History of the horn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for all the sound advice! Much appreciated.
Ive decided to move on from that horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts