Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just graduated high school and had to give back my school owned tenor (a 1980's Yamaha 62). I'm looking to buy my own horn now, on a budget of $1500-$2000 (though I'd like to stay on the lower end). I play on a relatively advanced level, both jazz and classical, and I use Vandoren Java T75 and Selmer Soloist C* mouthpieces. To honest I'm a bit spoiled by the professional horn, so I'm looking for something of similar quality (or at least the best I can get for my budget). If anyone has recommendations for a good playing horn at a reasonable price, it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

I've moved this to the correct sub forum. Please remember that members of less than six months and fewer than fifty posts are not permitted to buy/sell/trade on the forum.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A Yamaha 61 would be similar to what you're playing now:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/392059007842

I also really like Cannonballs:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253673316405

And a Yanagisawa:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273259090219

Generally, you get the best bang-for-your-buck purchase with a used sax.
If you want a new horn, Google Phil Barone. He sells high quality Taiwanese instruments on his website.

Other people will have more good suggestions for you. The key is to try as many tenors as you can and decide what you like best.

Where are you located? There may be good shops nearby.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
When I was looking for excellent horns on a budget the answer for me was B&S, who made pro level horns in Germany until the early 2000s. In particular 2001 and medusa models, plus the numerous stencils they made for wwbw and others (allora, chicago jazz, courtois and others).

These are generally outstanding for tone, ergonomics and build quality, and other than the "Dave Guardala" branded stencils often sell in your price range.

B&S competed with the "big 4" and sold for big 4 money back in the day. Now they are largely unknown and represent great bang for the buck, although its likely a leap of faith to buy one unless you luck out and find one locally to try out. The trick is to know the various stencils to look out for, and know how to tell the difference between the german made B&S version and later less well regarded versions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would go with something from Phil Barone with your budget. There are always good used items as mentioned above as well but those may require further adjustment/work.

If you want to go vintage this Zephyr looks pretty good and a decent price since it's a relaq and Tim is an awesome tech and it will play well for you.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
+1 to the Barone, it’s every bit a top pro horn. I bought one as a backup, and it turned into a brother, a true peer to my Mark VI.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've read many musicians here answer this question by asking if a person is going to music school.
Apparently many schools/teachers like their students to play certain horns.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I've read many musicians here answer this question by asking if a person is going to music school.
Apparently many schools/teachers like their students to play certain horns.
Yeah, this is a good point. What your plan is going forward will have a lot to do with what kind of budget and horn makes sense. If you're going to music school I'd plan on working the summer and putting some money away so you have the budget for a lightly used pro horn. If your going to college for something else and just want to get a horn so you can play occasionally I'd look around for something relatively cheap but serviceable. You aren't going to have as much time as a college student as you did as a high school student and you'll have other constraints and concerns if you're going away to school.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,936 Posts
Re: Administrator note:

I've moved this to the correct sub forum. Please remember that members of less than six months and fewer than fifty posts are not permitted to buy/sell/trade on the forum.
Yet people are continuing to use the advice forum as a marketplace.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

I have had to reset the permissions so that no members who do not qualify for Marketplace access via the fifty posts/six months minimums can view the Marketplace area at all. For the other Admin's reference, this includes the NEWBIES and REGISTERED USERS WITH SIGNATURE user groups.

Those who qualify but need their permissions changed to access will still have to contact the staff to have this manually changed. Those who already qualify will be unaffected by this change, and still have full access.

Those who try to solicit using the forum's PMing feature or post ads outside of the Marketplace in order to avoid this restriction will have their offending posts deleted, and an infraction up to and including a full ban issued. This has become a rampant problem for us, and this is the only way to effectively mitigate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice everyone! To clarify, I am not majoring in music, but I will continue playing for the foreseeable future. Also I apologize for submitting this on the wrong forum.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The best thing you can do is play a bunch of horns. Did you like the school's Yamaha 62? What other horns have you played? Did you like those?

Roughly where are you located? We might be able to suggest a store where you could try some other horns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did like my school's yamaha 62, but I'm definitely open to trying something new as well. I'm located in Harrisburg, PA (about 2 hours from Philadelphia, 2 hours from Baltimore/Washington, 3.5 hours from New York).

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
time and patience - wait and you will find a great horn that is perfect for you, like a Yamaha 61 or Yanagisawa, but if you are in a hurry...well, then you may have to go with what's available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts