Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been studying tenor for 1 1/2 years but have severe neck issues even with full harness. Tried alto but still painful. My teacher who also doubles on flute suggested that I may want to switch over to flute and since I always loved the beautiful sound of instrument, this may be a good time to do so.

Should I now find a teacher who plays flute or stick with my current "doubler" teacher?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
.... Should I now find a teacher who plays flute or stick with my current "doubler" teacher?
Should I now find a teacher who plays flute or stick with my current "doubler" teacher?
I'll answer that with a question: Does your flute teacher have a clear, full, clear sound without a hissing "toilet-flushing" aspect to it, especially for the lowest notes, and also good control of volume and pitch through the third octave? And if the answer is "not really", then ask yourself, do I want to rise above that?

Good flute teaching is all about laying sound foundations that are capable of carrying the player through to working well in the more difficult areas of the range. If a teacher does not have those foundations, then it is unlikely that they can teach them. IF those sound foundations are not laid early, then the player does not have foundations, just a set of liabilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gordon. Prospective flute instructor is classically trained,concert flutist with many years of teaching experience and my current doubler instuctor plays flute on certain occassions with tenor sax his primary focus.
Bottom line is I want to learn properly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
uh, tenor to flute? what's wrong with tenor to soprano? keyed the same, soprano weighs little, fingeringrs are the same (though much tigher on all the palm keys).

if you want to play a sax, play a sax, but don't go leting someone talk you into a wholesale instrument change before you try a soprano for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts