Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is starting middle school and had planned on clarinet (you must start on that prior to starting on sax--what she has always wanted to play). She taught herself basic clarinet and took a 3 week clarinet course over the summer and the music teacher says ok to start on the Tenor Sax--and are we crazy to move her staright to a tenor?

So now I need to acquire a tenor sax asap and need sage advice on brands to stay away from or gravitate towards. I need to stay at $500 or less for a used model. I found a Bundy II with some bell dents for $350 but will likely need a tune up (serial I 117xxx) and a Selmer TS600 Aristocrat for $500 (don't know serial # yet).

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! She tried on the tenor sax at school yesterday and seemed happy with it--I am just glad she isn't going with the Tuba. I was surprised that they didn't bring out an Alto for her. As for fit, she is quite tall for an 11 year old and already about 5'4", probably will top out around 6 foot.

Thanks also for the tip on the harness vs neck strap, I will look in to that.

All of the schools tenors are already rented and so I will have to go to a music shop rental for now. At $45 per month I am highly motivated to find a good used instrument for her ASAP.

Any other tips are very welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for brands/models, you may be able to get a Yamaha YTS-23 (or YTS-21) used for that (or only slightly more) money
M.
I have found a YTS-23 used for $700 but didn't inquire as it was outside of my price range and I have only started looking. I may revisit it if it doesn't sell and I am having no luck in my price range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts