Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is starting middle school and had planned on clarinet (you must start on that prior to starting on sax--what she has always wanted to play). She taught herself basic clarinet and took a 3 week clarinet course over the summer and the music teacher says ok to start on the Tenor Sax--and are we crazy to move her staright to a tenor?

So now I need to acquire a tenor sax asap and need sage advice on brands to stay away from or gravitate towards. I need to stay at $500 or less for a used model. I found a Bundy II with some bell dents for $350 but will likely need a tune up (serial I 117xxx) and a Selmer TS600 Aristocrat for $500 (don't know serial # yet).

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd make sure first that the tenor isn't too big and heavy for her - maybe it's a good idea to rent one first in order for your daughter to try. Another thing that has helped me a lot was wearing a harness instead of a neck strap - it's much easier on the neck and back that way.

As for brands/models, you may be able to get a Yamaha YTS-23 (or YTS-21) used for that (or only slightly more) money; I can say from my own experience that this is a very reliable sax and an easy blow, something that's important for a beginner; it's also quite lightweight for a tenor. That said, I don't have any experience with the Bundy II or the (Conn-)Selmer (the TS600 is *not* a French made horn!), so I can't tell you if they're good value for the - moderate - prices asked.

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,201 Posts
Before you buy anything take her to a local music shop and have her actually play a tenor sax.
Most 6th grade girls have problems with the size of the horn and reaching all of the pinkey keys.
If possible, talk to the band director at the school. Some schools will actually provide a tenor sax. You may get lucky and your daughter can use one of those untill you can find something suitable in your price range.

Yamaha and similar 'newer' saxophones seem to be a better fit for persons with smaller hands. They also hold up pretty well to the banging around they get from being played in the school band setting.
Some of the 'cheap' tenors that you find on ebay are just that. Cheap. Bad intonation, poorly made keywork, nearly impossible to find a tech willing to do any repairs...
Nearly everything you find on ebay, craigslist, etc will need repairs and/or adjusting. You will have to figure in at least $100 for those into the budget just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies! She tried on the tenor sax at school yesterday and seemed happy with it--I am just glad she isn't going with the Tuba. I was surprised that they didn't bring out an Alto for her. As for fit, she is quite tall for an 11 year old and already about 5'4", probably will top out around 6 foot.

Thanks also for the tip on the harness vs neck strap, I will look in to that.

All of the schools tenors are already rented and so I will have to go to a music shop rental for now. At $45 per month I am highly motivated to find a good used instrument for her ASAP.

Any other tips are very welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for brands/models, you may be able to get a Yamaha YTS-23 (or YTS-21) used for that (or only slightly more) money
M.
I have found a YTS-23 used for $700 but didn't inquire as it was outside of my price range and I have only started looking. I may revisit it if it doesn't sell and I am having no luck in my price range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts