Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I play clarinet and alto sax, but I would really, really like to play the tenor sax too. I am considering treating myself to one for up-coming round birthday 馃槆.

I love playing blues and I think this would be a good fit. Now- many years ago, I got to borrow one but I really struggled to reach the lowest keys.

I was wondering if there is any recommendations for a tenor sax? Or any obvious "no's"?
I don't play professionally but I do like decent sound.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Budget?

Reactions: Ixthusdan

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point. In my mind less than $2500 (though currency conversion makes this rather inaccurate) - but I would consider stretching the budget for the right fit

Registered
Tenor - Selmer MkVII and R&C R1 Jazz
Huge field :). If you prefer good ergonomics I would look at the asian horns first; yamaha 62, yanagisawa etc. Here in scandinavia you might find a secondhand Selmer SA80 sII within that budget, at least in sweden. I think they have a decent key stretch and a bit more complex sound if you ask me.

Selmer mkVII has large keys, skip that one :).

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Do you recall the horn that you tried that didn鈥檛 fit?

Do you prefer 鈥渧intage鈥 or 鈥渕odern鈥? If modern, used or new?

You can play blues on any horn. You鈥檒l feel less blue If the horn works well.

Registered
I love playing blues and I think this would be a good fit. Now- many years ago, I got to borrow one but I really struggled to reach the lowest keys.

I was wondering if there is any recommendations for a tenor sax? Or any obvious "no's"?
I agree with everyone. Great horns available for $2,500. However, I am interested in you elaborating on "I really struggled to reach the lowest keys." Are you stating that your fingers are not long enough? That your arms aren't long enough? Or that you had air/embouchure problems getting the low notes out? If you could provide detail on the trouble, it would be helpful.

Registered
I would also suggest Yamaha. If you can find a good deal on a YTS-62 new or used take it. If you really want new it will be hard to find a 62. In that case you might want to look at the YTS-480. Its the Yamaha intermediate model so it runs a little cheaper but I've only heard good things about it. Yamaha doesn't make a bad horn. Even their YTS-23 student horn is a good player.

Reactions: Riglet

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Do you recall the horn that you tried that didn鈥檛 fit?

Do you prefer 鈥渧intage鈥 or 鈥渕odern鈥? If modern, used or new?

You can play blues on any horn. You鈥檒l feel less blue If the horn works well.
My alto sax is vintage and I love it. For a tenor- I guess I 'd lean towards vintage but it isn't a must.

I agree with everyone. Great horns available for $2,500. However, I am interested in you elaborating on "I really struggled to reach the lowest keys." Are you stating that your fingers are not long enough? That your arms aren't long enough? Or that you had air/embouchure problems getting the low notes out? If you could provide detail on the trouble, it would be helpful.
It's many years since I tried the tenor - it was before I tried the saxophone altogether as I originally started on the clarinet. I don't know what make it was but it seemed my fingers weren't long enough to reach the bottom keys. That said, I could very well have held it wrong or something.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I would also suggest Yamaha. If you can find a good deal on a YTS-62 new or used take it. If you really want new it will be hard to find a 62. In that case you might want to look at the YTS-480. Its the Yamaha intermediate model so it runs a little cheaper but I've only heard good things about it. Yamaha doesn't make a bad horn. Even their YTS-23 student horn is a good player.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a problem with a used horn. And I haven't had a bad experience with yamaha.

Registered
It's always a good idea to buy a saxophone that is already overhauled/serviced or to buy one for a low price so that you can afford a service or an overhaul.
I know there is a good sax shop in Norway: www.vintagesaxophones.com/
And I'm also willing to help www.saxofonverkstaden.se (my father comes from Sandnes so I do understand Norwegian fluently but I prefer to talk Swedish)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
It's always a good idea to buy a saxophone that is already overhauled/serviced or to buy one for a low price so that you can afford a service or an overhaul.
I know there is a good sax shop in Norway: www.vintagesaxophones.com/
And I'm also willing to help www.saxofonverkstaden.se (my father comes from Sandnes so I do understand Norwegian fluently but I prefer to talk Swedish)
I understand Swedish so that wouldn't be a problem:)
That shop is unreachable at the moment due to the COVID-situation, but fingers crossed it will ease soon!

Registered
I have small fingers too. I would not purchase a vintage Conn as I don't think they lay out ideal for someone with smaller hands. (I have one as my backup horn, so this is easy advice for me). I don't recall having any issues with the Yamaha's I have played (though I have only played a few), so I agree that the Yamaha recommendation is probably safe.

Registered
I understand Swedish so that wouldn't be a problem:)
That shop is unreachable at the moment due to the COVID-situation, but fingers crossed it will ease soon!
Is vintagesaxophones closed due to COVID or what do you mean?
His shop should be open but I'm not completely sure. Call him. Just google R酶ed Music & Vintage Saxophones and you'll find his number.
Regards

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Is vintagesaxophones closed due to COVID or what do you mean?
His shop should be open but I'm not completely sure. Call him. Just google R酶ed Music & Vintage Saxophones and you'll find his number.
Regards
Thanks! It is my ability to travel there that is impacted by the covid (I work in emergency response). Appreciate the tip - I will check on the shop and aim to visit when I can. :)

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
with your budget your choice is very wide.

Although I wouldn鈥檛 personally think to a Yamaha as a 鈥 blues horn鈥 there is nothing to prevent you playing blues on a Yamaha or Yanagisawa, arguably the best made horns.

Buying used is obviously going to give you more bang for your buck. If you are looking at buying abroad imports from the EU will not be taxed, I think while outside the EU (and that includes the UK nowadays , regrettably ) you will be taxed. I am not sure that VAT from EU countries applies to Norway? Norway is not a member state but has a special agreement with the Union.

In the NL we have a number of shops dealing in saxophones and most of them are very happy to ship abroad.

My personal favorite would be a King saxophone, either a Super 20 ( unless you up your budget a little you may not be able to find one, not even a late SN ) or a Zephyr .

They would be great Blues players. Good Luck!

Reactions: Riglet

Registered
I play clarinet and alto sax, but I would really, really like to play the tenor sax too. I am considering treating myself to one for up-coming round birthday 馃槆.

I suggest you look into "Taishan Winds" on ebay. They are better (IMHO) than most Chinese saxes, and you get the equivalent of a Jupiter or an LA Sax for under $1,000 brand new. I bought a baritone from them and have been extremely happy. I've been spoiled all my life playing MK VI's, and I still liked the Taishan! TaiShan New Antique Tenor Saxophone Bb Sax High F# Professional Saxofon W/Case | eBay.
Like all new saxes, it's probably a good idea to take it to your saxophone repair tech right away to go over the minutiae. Leaky horns suck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts