Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a piece for a classical competition. I'm playing Fuzzy Bird on alto and i'm looking for something similar on tenor. I don't want to play the same standard stuff that everyone plays that's why i choose Fuzzy Bird on alto. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dylan

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are a number of excellent works available for tenor, and I think professional players both now and waiting in the wings should do their best to get more tenor rep written. My first suggestion would be Michael Cunningham's "Trigon op.31" - I think this would be most similar to Fuzzy Bird since there are jazz influenced elements to the work. You could also try Marc Satterwhite's "aprilmourningmusic," which is a very somber, emotional work for tenor and prepared piano (plenty of altissimo in this one though). There is also a sonata by Hans Kox that is supposed to be very good (although I have not heard it myself).

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Try the James DiPasquale Sonata for Tenor Sax and Piano.

Steve

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think that Houlik has recorded Trigon, but I'm not sure. As for the other two pieces, there are no commercially available recordings that I know about - there might be some live bootlegs available though.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
James Houlik did record "Trigon" by Michael Cunningham on his CD Tenor Tapestry, available directly from Houlik at http://www.jameshoulik.com.

Angel

·
Registered
133 Posts
"The Upward Stream" by Russel Peck is probably one of the best (if not the best) concertos ever written for saxophone, let alone tenor. Check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts