Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner, looking for a tenor sax that will last me. I have a budget of about $700-$800AUD. I really like that big, old sound of vintage horns, so if possible, I'd like to buy one of those.
I hsve done a fair bit of reading, so I'm not gonna ask what a good sax is for $xx .:mrgreen:
I do have a few questions though.
First off, will a vintage horn suit a beginner? Or am I a bit out of my depth in wanting to buy one?
Also, I was wondering if there was anyone in Perth here that could direct me to a music shop that sells second hand saxophones, and maybe recommend a good teacher? (I'm pretty far NOR, but willing to travel)

Lastly, I came across a few tenors on ebay and various other sites, and was looking for some input, if you could!

JTS-687

A Martin

JTS-889SG

Jupiter 500 Series?

Sorry for the ridiculously long post!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
LONG post ? Broooother....you are about to see a LONG post !!!

Hi...well, first off....some of those are overseas sellers, so are you sure they will ship to AU ? If so, get a quote.

OK, so the Martin is a nice horn ....but you want to clarify with the seller that it indeed will play up and down, all notes speaking, when your receive it. He has what may be deemed some "wiggle words" in there at the end of the description...or maybe not; might just be speaking honestly. You just wanna clarify. It's a decent price for a late '30's Handcraft playing up and down...I just sold one to an SOTW'er for almost the identical price.

Hands-down, it is the BEST horn of the bunch.

Now...the two Juptiters near you...they aren't bad newish horns. 2 of my techs say that Jupiter, as long as they aren't from over 10 years ago, are pretty solid. Better than Cannonballs...better than Antiguas...better than most.

Despite the title of the one ad, these are NOT pro horns, nor will they possess that old, vintage, wide, darker tone you say you like. BUT, they are closer to you, and they are decent instruments.

The 500 is overpriced. These have a used market value of around $400usd. if that one is seriously almost brand-new and plays up and down, you can argue it is worth maybe $600usd tops.

The 687 ain't bad, if it stays at $400 it would be a good buy as long as you didn't have to pay more than $100 shipping.

The 889 is about priced where it should be. An SOTW'er sold one for $800 usd in the past year. So, it at least seems about the going rate for one. Of course, the seller lies significantly when he says these are $2800 new. They are about $1900 new....
So...if in as good a shape as it says, it's not a bad buy.

It is no Martin, but it would be a nice horn for you to start out on. It will not sound vintage...it'll be brighter, reedier, less bottom to it, probably edgier as opposed to smooth and smoky. But it isn't a bad deal if it stays around that price, give or take another $100aud.

It is no issue for a beginner to buy a vintage horn...I sell probably 40% of my vintage horns to beginners and they are very appropriate instruments....actually more than just appropriate because a person doesn't need to 'buy up' after a few years. Just sorta depends upon whether that is what you really dig. I can set you up with a nice older horn in great playing shape for about $650-800usd, shipped, if you like. Not trying to make a sale, necessarily. Just want to let you know you have a lotta options.

Maybe send a PM to member SaxPunter....I know he ain't exactly near you, but he has a pretty good grasp on the used market in AU.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I agree the Martin, having owned two '50's The Martin tenors. I had a friend who had the pre WWII art deco model, with the spotlight and airplane engraving and the small bell flare. Huge sound. If you can hold out a accumulate a little more cash, I would suggest a The Martin or the art deco model mentionaed above. Ergos are a little more modern on the The Martin.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Simso (Steve) is also pretty far NOR in Perth and he might know of a teacher to recommend and he is a great music instrument repair tech. Might want to PM him.

He might also have some ideas on getting you set up with a sax to play...

KennyD

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
+1 go talk to Simso , he usually has second/third hand saxes in stock for sale http://www.ultrainspections.com/Saxophone_Sales.html

Thats not a long post and neither is Jayes.

Love my matin committee tenor it has that awesome smooth sax sound.
Make sure to factor in at least $130 to 150 for shipping.Then add an amount for at least a tune up by a local tech(say 100 to 300)
Shipping can (and usually does) have an effect on a sax. Even worse if not packed properly.

I paid $1200 for a martin from the US in good condition and $800 for another that plays reasonably but needs an overhaul - that was a couple of years back and back when the Aussie dollar was worth a good bit less than a US dollar unlike today ( latest AU$1 = US$1.039)
Buying from the US can be cheaper(usually) than buying second hand in Australia(larger market and a lot lot lot more saxes) and get a better/larger choice.
just be careful , factor in shipping and tech costs. Its a risk and you have to be aware you could get a total lemon!!!

I have a John Lehner tenor(Taiwanese built) that I'd be willing to sell for $700 including shipping to Perth(registered insured mail)
(pm me for photos etc if interested) originally bought it from Bootman a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Swanie, tried to send you a PM but wasn't able to, I'm from Perth and can let you know some of the answers to your questions, PM me if you can
Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your help!

JayeSF - Now I can see my post, ahh, I can see it's not as long as I thought, haha. Thanks a lot for your input on the links I posted. I checked out your website, the samples of each sax being played are awesome, I'd much rather buy from someone like yourself online, as opposed to ebay.

Spike - I really wouldn't mind one.. I'm happy to spend a little more if I fall in love, haha. I'm looking for a sax that will last me, after all. Music is wonderful stress relief, and a distraction from uni :p, I'd like to take this as far as I'm able.

KennyD - Thanks a lot! I'll definitely try getting in touch with him.

al- Thanks for the info, I'm very wary of buying online, I also play guitar, and have had a few dud purchases, but it's same with everything, unfortunately! :/

Timelord - I can't even check my inbox yet, possibly because I'm a new member? my email is swanienator at gmail.com, if you want to get in touch? Thankyou!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner, looking for a tenor sax that will last me. I have a budget of about $700-$800AUD. I really like that big, old sound of vintage horns, so if possible, I'd like to buy one of those.
I hsve done a fair bit of reading, so I'm not gonna ask what a good sax is for $xx .:mrgreen:
I do have a few questions though.
First off, will a vintage horn suit a beginner? Or am I a bit out of my depth in wanting to buy one?
Also, I was wondering if there was anyone in Perth here that could direct me to a music shop that sells second hand saxophones, and maybe recommend a good teacher? (I'm pretty far NOR, but willing to travel)

Lastly, I came across a few tenors on ebay and various other sites, and was looking for some input, if you could!

JTS-687

A Martin

JTS-889SG

Jupiter 500 Series?

Sorry for the ridiculously long post!
You'd get a nice playing YTS-23 for that sort of money on Aus ebay if you are patient. The advantages of that model are many.... easy to fix, intonation is good, reasonably modern ergonomics. If you buy vintage get your teacher or a local good player to test it for you.

I have a magnificent 1941 Martin which tonally is better than my Reference 36, but two (and only two) notes are about 25 cents sharp and I just couldn't lip them down enough without doing lip calisthenics.

As a beginner, get the most reliable and "in tune" horn you can buy. There's enough other stuff to worry about than having to fight with the horn too.

Just my 2c

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Good points, this is why people buy Yammy 23's...for the reasons you stated.

I just wanna clarify that the idea that a vintage horn comes with intonation/ergonomic 'issues' is really quite the fallacy (I know SP wasn't saying this, but it could be misinterpreted as such). It IS the defacto argument folks use against buying vintage, but it is such a broad and inaccurate generalization as to be almost of no help at all.

Ergos take a couple of weeks to get under your fingers. Very few old horns have such poorly designed keywork as to actually handicap a player.

Intonation is something which is similar.
After the '30's, very few vintage horns 'have' suspect intonation. Many which are reported as having such, can pretty easily be significantly improved ~ if not outright corrected ~ by the combo of mouthpiece selection and keyheight adjustment by a good tech. Some, not. Most, yes. Neither prescription need be particularly pricey, either. Plenty of modern horns have questionable intonation as well (and likely those can also be improved by the above steps of recourse).

I agree that Yamahas are reputed to have in-the-pocket intonation. But off the top of my head, so do the pre-'80's Vitos. The Beaugnier body design was also reputed for very good intonation.

So, focusing on one particular aspect or quality does not preclude newer or vintage (unless it's tone, in which case it does preclude newer :bluewink:)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Good points, this is why people buy Yammy 23's...for the reasons you stated.

I just wanna clarify that the idea that a vintage horn comes with intonation/ergonomic 'issues' is really quite the fallacy (I know SP wasn't saying this, but it could be misinterpreted as such). It IS the defacto argument folks use against buying vintage, but it is such a broad and inaccurate generalization as to be almost of no help at all.

Ergos take a couple of weeks to get under your fingers. Very few old horns have such poorly designed keywork as to actually handicap a player.

Intonation is something which is similar.
After the '30's, very few vintage horns 'have' suspect intonation. Many which are reported as having such, can pretty easily be significantly improved ~ if not outright corrected ~ by the combo of mouthpiece selection and keyheight adjustment by a good tech. Some, not. Most, yes. Neither prescription need be particularly pricey, either. Plenty of modern horns have questionable intonation as well (and likely those can also be improved by the above steps of recourse).

I agree that Yamahas are reputed to have in-the-pocket intonation. But off the top of my head, so do the pre-'80's Vitos. The Beaugnier body design was also reputed for very good intonation.

So, focusing on one particular aspect or quality does not preclude newer or vintage (unless it's tone, in which case it does preclude newer :bluewink:)
I'm certainly not saying "not" to go Vintage.... just have someone play it first as a beginner. Actually the Blues recording in my sig is on my Martin tenor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts