Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a freshman in high school looking to buy a professional/high intermediate tenor for preferably around $1500. I could probably go up to around $2000 if something was a good deal, and worth the money. For background, I started on alto in 6th grade and I switched to tenor about 1 year ago, and have been using the school one for a while. It isn't a very good horn, and I'm looking to keep playing music throughout my life, so I'm looking for a good horn to stick with for a while. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, welcome to SOTW.

The following is a repost of when someone asked the same question three days ago. Their target amount was under $2500

In your ($2500) price range, you could just about swing a new YTS62II, a used YTS82Z or 875. A used Selmer SA80 Series II is also in your price range. If possible, go to some shops and try these horns out and see which sounds best.

I believe there are many great saxophones out there. The new Barone tenors are highly thought of and seem to be a great bargain. The Yanigasawa are considered great too. But in the educational system, it seems important, not only to have a great horn, but also to have one that is recommended by your professors. So check with them first before you buy. In my area, most colleges recommend either Yamaha or Selmer Paris. And even though I'm a vintage Buescher guy, I bought both of my kids professional Yamaha instruments because I knew the Yamaha's would take them as far as they wanted to go through college. And they can buy whatever other horns they want after they get out of school.

The mouthpiece issue is much more complicated. The best thing to do is to try as different types as you can before you buy.
And for what you are describing, you should also consider a Yamaha YTS-52. These are very good intermediate models on par with many entry-level pro models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just found someone selling a YTS82Z for around 2400, so I'm looking into that as it is above my price range, but is about 1300 under new selling price, so its a very good deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,023 Posts
There's a whole slew of possibilities out there.$1500 can get you a hella lotta horn.

More info would help. I mean, all we know so far is you want a solid quality horn. What sorta stuff do you play ? Sectional ? Front-man ? Big Band ? Classical ? Marching band ?

What kinda music do you like ? What sorta sound are you looking for ? Bright, reedy, smooth, smoky, sexy, dark, growly, punchy, silky, seduce-the-ladies, etc ????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a whole slew of possibilities out there.$1500 can get you a hella lotta horn.

More info would help. I mean, all we know so far is you want a solid quality horn. What sorta stuff do you play ? Sectional ? Front-man ? Big Band ? Classical ? Marching band ?

What kinda music do you like ? What sorta sound are you looking for ? Bright, reedy, smooth, smoky, sexy, dark, growly, punchy, silky, seduce-the-ladies, etc ????
With this horn I'd probably be using the school horn for marching band, but I'd use this horn for jazz band, and A wind ensemble, so It'd be good if it could useful for multiple playing styles, although I understand that can also go towards the mouthpiece. I like to listen to rock mostly, but some jazz. As far as the sound goes, anything would probably be alright, although I wouldn't want anything sounding to bright.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts