Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I would be most interested in option #2.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7140944155553627736

It is stated in the ad that it has recently been repadded, it comes with a good mouthpiece (Vandoren Java, although you may want to save it for when you are more experienced, and start on an easier to control beginner mouthpiece) and is a nice model Yamaha horn apparently in good mechanical condition.

The seller is also experienced in musical instrument sales, and wisely suggests budgeting for a check up and adjustment by a good tech. Very sage advice for anyone purchasing a horn, and speaks well of his knowledge and ability to assess a horns condition etc.

Provided you can get it at a steal of a deal price, my second pick among the three options would likely be the Selmer USA 1244. I wouldn't pay more than $400 or so for it.

The third option, while a Yamaha, is in unknown mechanical condition, has some abuse to the bell and body that doesn't bode well regarding its upkeep and care, and is sold by a non music related vendor who appears to own a thrift type store.
You might find it necessary to pour a lot more cash into getting this horn up and running to an acceptable level. I'd pass on that one.

I'm not certain what your budget is, however there are a lot of options out there besides these. However, the Yamaha is generally regarded as one of the best student horns for the budding saxophonist, and rates at the top of most lists.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I would definitely resist the urge to buy a pretty, shiny new horn that is a cheap piece of crap. A pitfall many a beginner falls into. It is vital that you get a solid, quality horn regardless of the cosmetic niceties of it. This is paramount.

I mention this because the above vendor link, including many other online music stores, have an abundance of these cheap horns within their lower price range offerings that are not anything approaching the quality and suitability of a good used horn for the same amount of money. The appeal is the low price and flashy cosmetics in a majority of cases.

If your budget is unlimited, sure you can consider a high end Selmer Paris, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth etc. from any number of vendors. As a beginner I don't think this is either practical, feasible, or advisable however.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would push for a Used Yamaha 21/23. I started on a YAS-23 and played it in marching band in High School. I used it as a backup later while I was in Music School & had a Yamaha 875 Custom. My 23 was beat up on a bunch but always played well, even with a small leak or two.

Sold it a couple of years back and I now regret it.

The 21/23 are both great horns & quite a few folks play them on professional gigs.

Good luck with your search for a horn! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I would definitely resist the urge to buy a pretty, shiny new horn that is a cheap piece of crap. A pitfall many a beginner falls into. It is vital that you get a solid, quality horn regardless of the cosmetic niceties of it. This is paramount.

I mention this because the above vendor link, including many other online music stores, have an abundance of these cheap horns within their lower price range offerings that are not anything approaching the quality and suitability of a good used horn for the same amount of money.
Absolutely ! Beware of ANY tenor which is new and costs under $900.....it's pretty much guaranteed to be bad.

Here's my advice, part I:

1) You have $349.

2) You are 11 years old.

~ Stay away from eBay. Only experienced eBayers should use eBay when buying a musical instrument.
I do not say this to offend you, but to help.
The problem with eBay horns is...90% of them require repair work after you receive 'em. I can pretty much guarantee a 99.5% likelihood that any Tenor on eBay which sells for $350 or less will need $150-500 of professional tech work.

Looking at the auctions you initially listed...the first one ended over $400, plus shipping you are at almost $450. So that isn't a Tenor for $350.

The second auction has these magical words, very politely inserted into the description:

"This tenor was recently re-padded, regulated and currently plays very nicely. That said, I would still encourage you to budget for a visit to your repair person to have the horn set-up to your particular standards"

You might think this means when you take the horn out of the case, it will play up and down with no issues. That would be a bad assumption.

The seller has included "wiggle words" to cover their butt. They are telling you the horn will need some tech work when you receive it, and do not buy it if you do not have the money budgeted for additional tech work.

Then if you look at the Return Policy section of the auction....voila !...the seller does not accept returns.

So, at the end of the day...this will NOT be a $350 Tenor, either.

Pretty sneaky, eh ?

Piece of advice Part II:

~ You and your parents need to increase your budget just a bit..... if what you want is to buy a playing, quality Tenor sax. $350 can get you a VERY good Alto in good shape, but not a Tenor.

If you have a tad over $400...then you have a lot of options available to you for a good, solid, playing, used horn which will last your for a decade or more.

$350 just won't get you there. Do you think you and your family can muster another $75 ??

Because I, for one...and likely a few other sellers/members here on this Forum, can sell you a good, working Tenor for $425 shipped which would NOT need add'l work once you got it.

Yes, it's an under-market-value price....but.... having been hanging around here for a while, I can say that there are several of us (adults) who will gladly give a young player a break on a solid horn because, well...this is a Sax Community...and that's what older folks do for younger folks with limited means, sometimes.

If you posted in the "Wanted" section stating just that ("I need an appropriate Tenor sax for an 11 y.o. beginner for $425 shipped. It has to be in decent shape and playable with no issues requiring repair")...I bet you'd get some replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what can u get me for around 425? also, is it possibe to relaquer an instrument in a different color? if so how much would it cost
thanks again:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I have sent you a PM, also.

Forget relacquering for now. It's hecka expensive....like at least $850 if done right.
Even people with top-notch, pro horns don't bother relacquering. It's one of those things which usually isn't worth the expense.

If you want a Tenor in this price range, which is a decent musical instrument, you are gonna have to compromise on the looks of it a little bit.

A few are:

1967 16M Conn (I have two)

Martin-made Olds Ambassador, late 1940's

1960's King Cleveland

1960's Robert Malerne stencil

1970's Pierret-made Olds Parisian Ambassador

All my horns are guaranteed to play when you receive, no additional work required.

...these are the sort of horns (in addition to something like a Bundy or maybe a Yamaha-made Vito) which your price range is good for. All are of good reputation, well-built, and appropriate for a young player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts