Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my SA80 Series I Tenor gets all its dents hammered out and of course new resonators. The original ones had plastic resonators. Now there are toptones in, but it shall get regular ones again now. My tech recommends Pisoni Professional. Which do you recommend here; "convex nickel plated brass" or "selmer domed with rivets" or...?

Best from Germany

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
if you wan the original then you should have Pisoni ( or Chanu) and brown plastic domed resonators

If you are not going for the total originality then the sky is the limit. Lately I have seen some great overhauls performed by Matthews in the Netherlands with Pisoni black pads and metal resonators.

Very Chic.:bluewink:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would stick with the plastic resonators, for the following reasons:

1. There's no significant discernible difference between the acoustic characteristics of plastic vs metal resonators (e.g., see the scientific studies described here).

2. To the extent that there is a (small) difference, it seems to favor plastic resonators (again, see studies referenced above), probably because the resonators come in more sizes and can therefore be customized to provide slightly better coverage than metal ones

3. Plastic resonators are, as you point out, original to the horn.

4. Plastic resonators are more durable (most metal ones can be dented and can corrode over time).

5. Should you need to replace individual pads down the line, these are easier to find; every woodwind repair shop will have standard tan pads with plastic resonators.

6. Plastic resonators tend to be less expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Agree with Milandro - you can't go wrong with the original Pisoni with brown plastic resonators. But I think it's most important going with whatever the tech feels most comfortable working with.

Pads that seal and resonators rhat stabilize the pad are more important than anything else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everybody, thanks for your input. I´ll go for Pisoni Professional convex nickel plated brass, that´s what the tech first mentioned, and usually the first idea is the best.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I totally agree with Michel. And Milandro, apart from the Chanu suggestion. when I came across these on brand new Selmers they were about the stickiest pads I have ever encountered. (Likewise the ones used on Selmer with "Selmer" written on the back, which were probably Chanu as well. I have sets of these "Selmer" pads which I will never use on any customer's instrument. What waste of money!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts