Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In these last weeks I used the Rigotti reeds 2,5 s on Vandoren V16 T6 and confirm the good impression , yes , they are ready to start but really unfortunately the tip of the reed loosens becomes soft after 20-30 minutes of use, for this is certain passages it glues to the MP and suffocates the sound...maybe it doesn't occur with a more open MP. I'll try to search a smaller pack of Rigotti 3 to test.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
yes , they are ready to start but really unfortunately the tip of the reed loosens becomes soft after 20-30 minutes of use, for this is certain passages it glues to the MP and suffocates the sound.
Yes, that's a common problem. The reeds become too soft and then they close up against the tip of the piece. Going up to 3's should solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My reed of choice. Though there are some people who say the consistency has been questionable (product control). I've been using them for a couple of years now and think they are about as consistent as any other reeds. I like them because they are bright, responsive, and alive.

Roberto's reeds are also my favorite and are very similar but too inconvenient for me to use on a regular basis.

RG remind me a bit of vandoren java red a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks MrBlueNote, I think to 3 strong instead the actual 2,5 strong , the 3 medium could be an alternative or they are too near the current 2,5 strong?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks MrBlueNote, I think to 3 strong instead the actual 2,5 strong , the 3 medium could be an alternative or they are too near the current 2,5 strong?
Though I've experienced this problem with other reeds, I've never tried Rigottis, so I can't say for sure. However, if you get the 3 strong and find the reeds are too hard, you can always remove some material with a reed knife. Probably the only way to really know what works best for you is to try both. Good luck!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,629 Posts
Not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I mostly play 3 lights and sometimes 2.5 strong because I still have a couple of boxes of them. Even though that's a minor change in strength (from 2.5 strong to 3 light), it's still noticeable. I also have a box of 3 medium and they are noticeably stronger than the 3 lights. So I would say the 3 medium is a significant step up in strength from the 2 strong.

All that said, I've been playing Rigottis for a few years now and have never experienced the tip getting softer issue you describe. It could be that the 2 strongs are a bit too soft for you, but it's best to move up incrementally, so I'd go to a 3 light next and see if that solves the problem. Is it possible you are biting a bit too much? Or maybe it's the mpc?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I play 3 medium on tenor too. I have some 3 lights and 2.5 strong, they are similar in strength. 3 medium is a significant step up in strength. I just clip the tip of the the 3 lights and 2.5 strongs :)

Regarding the softening up, do you adjust your reeds? If I balance them side to side when I first take them out of the box, I find they remain much more stable. There is always some very small change in the first hour or so of playing, but after that they remain very consistent until they die, at least for me.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I mostly play 3 lights and sometimes 2.5 strong because I still have a couple of boxes of them.
I've been using Rigotti 2.5 mediums on tenor, but am interested in trying a 2.5 strong, as my chops have been developing somewhat. I'll be in the Bay area this week, in case you're interested in selling off a box, JL. :)

·
23,629 Posts
I've been using Rigotti 2.5 mediums on tenor, but am interested in trying a 2.5 strong, as my chops have been developing somewhat. I'll be in the Bay area this week, in case you're interested in selling off a box, JL. :)
Hey Zoot, thanks for offering to buy a box from me, but I like the 2.5 strongs and, as skeller points out, they aren't that much different from the 3 lights. I can use them interchangeably. So I'll be using them. Definitely give the 2.5 strong a try, though. You may like them better than the mediums.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Thanks JL, I'll probably order a box. The 2.5Ms are great for me right out of the box, but I suspect that a slightly stronger reed that takes a bit more breaking in might last a bit longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,918 Posts
Forum member Honkbopsax got me hip to these about 10 years ago. Actually, he turned a bunch of people onto them in Pittsburgh, so much so that the local shop has a hard time keeping them in supply. In that decade, I've probably come across 5 bad ones, and they were all manageable. I've yet to find another cane reed that I can just pull out of a box mid-gig and start playing. The sub-sizes make a big difference in matching your reed to your mouthpiece. If they start fading on you, soak them in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes, and enjoy them for another 2 hours or so of hard playing.

·
23,629 Posts
I've been using Rigotti 3 strong on tenor, in my opinion they are excellent but have a short duration
What do you call a 'short duration'? Are you saying short duration in comparison to other cane reeds? I guess everyone has a different experience when it comes to reeds, but in my experience the Rigottis last just as long as (or longer than) any other cane reed I've used.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I mostly play 3 lights and sometimes 2.5 strong because I still have a couple of boxes of them. Even though that's a minor change in strength (from 2.5 strong to 3 light), it's still noticeable. I also have a box of 3 medium and they are noticeably stronger than the 3 lights. So I would say the 3 medium is a significant step up in strength from the 2 strong.

All that said, I've been playing Rigottis for a few years now and have never experienced the tip getting softer issue you describe. It could be that the 2 strongs are a bit too soft for you, but it's best to move up incrementally, so I'd go to a 3 light next and see if that solves the problem. Is it possible you are biting a bit too much? Or maybe it's the mpc?
Uhm, yes it is possible that I am biting a bit too much , but with other reeds (Vandoren blu 2,5) the problem doesn't occur . The MP is T6 (small medium tip opening), I will test the Rigotti 2,5 in a mp more open, I ask my friend to have it to borrow for check also in that direction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I play 3 medium on tenor too. I have some 3 lights and 2.5 strong, they are similar in strength. 3 medium is a significant step up in strength. I just clip the tip of the the 3 lights and 2.5 strongs :)

Regarding the softening up, do you adjust your reeds? If I balance them side to side when I first take them out of the box, I find they remain much more stable. There is always some very small change in the first hour or so of playing, but after that they remain very consistent until they die, at least for me.
Hi Steve, I use the reed as is from the box...I never worked on the balancing of the reed manually , but I could buy the 3 medium or the 3 strong and if too much hard I can try to work on the reed to loose it as suggest by MrBlueNote on the discussion ...

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,001 Posts
Well, I just grabbed my V16 T6 and tried a 2.5 Vandoren Blue Box vs. a Rigotti 3 Light and a Rigotti 3 Medium. (Yes, I have too many mouthpieces and reeds.) I thought that the 3 Medium was closest to the 2.5 Vandoren. Obviously subjective, but that's what we're doing here. For what it's worth, I've alternated between Rigotti 3 Lights and Vandoren Red Box for several years.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hi Steve, I use the reed as is from the box...I never worked on the balancing of the reed manually , but I could buy the 3 medium or the 3 strong and if too much hard I can try to work on the reed to loose it as suggest by MrBlueNote on the discussion ...
I balance them side to side by just using the mouthpiece on the neck, and turning one side down, so it's damped on my lip. Just as if I tilted my head, but kept the horn straight... Usually one side is somewhat harder or less responsive than the other; I sand that side, until the two sides respond the same, then I just play the reed. Takes 2-3 minutes to do. Don't worry about the *_tone_* matching, just the *_response_*. I judge that by doing a decrescendo to as soft as I can play - if both sides play the same volume with the same air pressure, and feel the same resistance wise, then the reed is balanced. It's not rocket surgery, to coin a phrase, but it does make a big difference.

If it gets too soft from the sanding, I clip it, just a hair's breadth at a time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi there,

I play a Drake Christlieb (Berg Larsen copy) 110 on Tenor (SX90R) and find this to be a very good match. I have been on Rigotti now for quite a while, Gold 2,5strong or 3,0light, or Regal Queen 3,0. I flatten them with the ReedGeek, and as they all are bit on the strong side, I bent them down initially a couple of times, and this way they last long. Really good reeds.
My question is regarding sound. The Rigottis are rather bright with a good core, but eventually very bright. Which reeds would be darker? I liked the Daddario Jazz Select 2hard or 3 light, but they did not last very long in my hands, got soft very fast. The Vandoren Java green, V16 and ZZ (2,5) all felt more or less dull, I never got along with Vandoren. There are many more brands and models out there, as Rico Orange or Royal, Marca, Alexander, LaVoz, Hemke, AW reeds, Gonzalez, Wood Stone, ... I do not want to switch to plastic, by the way. Any suggestions and experiences as to how the different makes sound? Thanks a lot!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts