Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hear the Rigotti Gold as good/fine sax tenor reeds . Any opinion about these reeds? Sound ,real consistence , durability . Currently I use the Vandoren blu 2,5 on V16 T6 but I like to have other chance in the reed choice , expecially the Rigotti . Who used either could tell me an opinion and differences?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,903 Posts
I like Rigotti on Tenor.
They seem to be a brighter reed and perhaps a little softer for their size than others.
I don’t feel they last any longer than other cane reeds and and they are no more or less consistent than others also.
I wouldn’t waste my money on them for Baritone again though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Rigotti Reeds are very well established under the membership here.

I use Rigotti Gold Jazz or Queen if I want to save 30% of the price.

There are many previous threads already discussing this precise topic.

This is nearly identical to your questions

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?149078-Rigotti-Gold-Tenor

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?234-Rigotti-Gold-Reeds

these are of interrest

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?303833-Cut-of-Rigotti-Gold-tenor-reeds

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?342720-Rigotti-Gold-JAZZ

there are many more related threads. Please don’t take this as a rebuff, but using the search function helps keeping the enormous archives usable and useful.

There is no shame in continuing another pre-existing thread, it will be published under new active threads anyway and all the people participating will get an alert, which will insure you to have more responses AND that the archives are not diluted in hundreds of the same title and content threads.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milandro, you are a great investigator, in the suggested threads there are all the information you need for me, even too much to avoid some confusion in a beginner like me.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B flat, I think I take the maximum 3, because I'm afraid I still have no a good lip to risk on 3, 5 and the box is with 10 reeds....
Thank You

·
38,782 Posts
Rubberface, thanks, but I don’t feel that I deserve the title of “ Great investigator” I have merely typed Rigotti Gold here https://www.saxontheweb.net in the middle of the page where it says “ Google Custom Search”.

Too much information? Yes, probably, because there are so many ( and even a lot more ) threads already. In most cases the answers to most questions are already there.

Reed strength choice is not a race to the top. It took me years to shake off this misconception.

Life and things in life like playing a saxophone are a journey. Like for every Journey we use reference books (the archives) , the people who are on the same path and our own findings.

Good Luck with your journey

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sure Milandro, my journey has a recent beginning and I clashed with the first difficulties, even in the trivial searches (I had put in search 'rigotti vs vandoren blu' ... better to work with simpler searches) but it seems that they can solve well with the experience and help of fans of the topic like you. The forums, for better or for worse, are a huge container of information, all useful, even sometimes the wrong ones. I'm happy to meet people available like you.
Good continuation of the trip .... which I believe does not have a fixed station of arrival.

·
38,782 Posts
it VERY much depend where you search.

if you do this on this page (please follow the link) https://www.saxontheweb.net

don’t search on each page on the top right side that search box is not good.

Search where I told you:bluewink:

Then you fill Rigotti Vs. Vandoren in the search not at the top of the page , in the top middle of the page...

I find 617 hits ( cannot sed you the link anymore because search link expire after they have been generated)

One of the 617 hits is a thread called almost precisely like this and was started in 2012

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?175267-Alexander-vs-Vandoren-Reeds

Could anyone enlighten me about how Alexander reeds compare to Vandoren reeds? Not the strength - I know that Alexanders run about half a strength softer, if my memory serves me right - but in the quality (sound, response). I have played Vandoren Traditionals, V16's, ZZ's, and Java Reds, so please compare the Alexander to those. Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
I've tried a lot of different brand tenor reeds over the years. For a long time I used, and liked, V16 (2.5) reeds. But I prefer Rigotti Gold to all the reeds I've tried. I think they play better and are more consistent (more good ones in a box) than the others I've tried. So, imo, they are great reeds and well worth a try.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks JL for your opinion.
Today I take a decision to order a box of Rigotti Gold 2,5 Strong (also the seller confirm me that this grade is near to the V blu currently in use by me).
In a couple of days the reed will be to my home and I will test as need in the next period.
I will update this thread with my personal opinion about.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hmm, blue box 2.5 is pretty hard. also the Rigotti Gold is a quite a different cut, more like the "jazz" reeds. I would suggest a 3 medium or 3 hard at least. You may want to try the Rigotti Classic model too, maybe 2.5 medium or 2.5 hard.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
In my experience, a Rigotti Gold 3 soft is every bit as hard as a blue box 2.5.

The Rigotti Classics are very close (for me) to the strength of the blue box. Maybe slightly harder. The Classics are available only in numbered increments. No soft, medium or hard.

·
38,782 Posts
Funny that we don’t seem to have these soft, medium, hard for either Rigotti or Alexander in the NL. Only whole and half sizes.

Also the only Gold we have are called Jazz.

I’ve bought some Alexander Classique which were the most similar reeds to the Gold Jazz that I always buy, no other Alexander comes even close to that!

Go figure, what’s in a name? Jazz, Classique....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
Today I take a decision to order a box of Rigotti Gold 2,5 Strong
I think that's a wise choice in size for trying them out (not too hard or too soft). I'm not familiar with the blue box reeds, but a Rigotti 2.5 strong is a good medium strength that will give you a good idea of how the brand plays. If you like them but decide they are a bit soft, you can always move to the 3 Light. I like both those sizes. I find the 3 Light to be pretty close to Vandoren V16 2.5 (which is a bit on the hard side compared to most 2.5 reeds).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the reeds arrived...the box is marked Rigotti Gold Jazz 2,5 strong. The appearance is visually good, the texture of the fibers and the color of the reed is nice. I find the tip lighter than the V blu 2.5 I use. I mounted one reed on the vadoren V16 T6, the sound is very nice, in my set up it may not be as hot as the blue V, but very full and constant in all the registers. If you push it runs very well, from my point of view perfect for jazz, especially the modern, but very usable for everything.
JL says right, my cut should be 3 light, a little bit hard, even closer to the blue V 2.5. At the moment I am happy to can use this size.
The next box for me will be 3 light probably.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the reeds arrived...the box is marked Rigotti Gold Jazz 2,5 strong. The appearance is visually good, the texture of the fibers and the color of the reed is nice. I find the tip lighter than the V blu 2.5 I use. I mounted one reed on the vadoren V16 T6, the sound is very nice, in my set up it may not be as hot as the blue V, but very full and constant in all the registers. If you push it runs very well, from my point of view perfect for jazz, especially the modern, but very usable for everything.
JL says right, my cut should be 3 light, a little bit hard, even closer to the blue V 2.5. At the moment I am happy to can use this size.
The next box for me will be 3 light probably.

I was always playing vandoren v16 reeds. Then i bought the rigotti reeds- 2,5 medium and strong. After 1 month i ordered the rigotti 3 soft and medium and the medium in my opinion were similar the vanoren v16 2,5.
The reeds are so good, after many years I have what I was looking for

·
Registered
166 Posts
A good way to test is to try smaller Rigotti Gold pack (3-reeds in pack).
I can confirm - the Rigotti Gold are fine, a little brighter then older unfiled Rico Jazz Select - D'addario, Vandoren Blue box, and other Rico I tried before.
The numbering is (in my opinion) usually a quarter or half softer than Vandoren (depends on Vandoren type)
They are ready to start in first minutes of playing, it's very comfortable. Consistent, hmm, enough, only some (2 in 10-pack) I feel like more mate, but ... more consistent in hardness and sound "colour" than other brands I played for years.
After playing first half of hour they become softer. I started with Rigotti Gold tenor 2,5 medium, next time I've bought 2,5 strong, using the same 0.110 Slant type mouthpiece. As I was curious, I tried 3 (soft and med.), but I came back to 2,5 strong.
Last 4 years I was playing Rigotti Gold 2,5 strong with comfort and pleasure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts