Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a metal Otto Link STM 6*, but I think I get to much spread in my tone. It sounds like a sinus, taking away much overtones.

I've also got a Vandoren T25 with a great sound, dark and full bodied with some edge.

So basically I've got my classical/ensemble mouthpiece all set, but I'm not happy with my jazz mp. I'm looking for a kind of screamy mp but with body. I consider the Rico Metalite as a start.

How would you compare the sound of the STM vs Metalite? Are there any other cheap mouthpieces that I should glance at? My tenor is a P.Mauriat System 76.

·
Registered
591 Posts
What's that "Jazz" thing?

Seriously, for the price I think you're safe to try the Metallite. But on the other hand why not play the T25 for "Jazz"?

·
Registered
591 Posts
OK, let me put it this way: I want 2 different sounds, one dark (T25) and one bright. What kind of bright mouthpiece would get me more screamy/punchy/solid than the STM?
For a bright piece try a metallite. Also a Brilhart Level-Air should be bright and not too expensive.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I never cared for Lakeys on tenor but maybe... Hmm, cheap and bright...Metalite, yes. Jumbo Java, not real cheap but not too pricey. Rousseau JDX is a good deal. Maybe a Runyon but not sure what model to recommend. Look for a used Dukoff or Berg 0 or 1 chamber.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Vandoren JAVA is a good place to start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After hearing one on a friends Jupiter, just ordered a Metalite M9 for my tenor, cheap, rip ya ears off and leave you emotionally damaged...now made in black! (so not ugly...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
If the facing is good, your STM should be able to play bright. I play my STM when I want a brighter sound. I don't think it is necessary but some players have made their STMs brighter with a putty baffle. Might be worth an experiment.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've got a metal Otto Link STM 6*, but I think I get to much spread in my tone...

... I consider the Rico Metalite as a start.

Wanna trade that "unhappy" Link STM 6* for a brand-new "blink-blink" Metalite 7 :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts