Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you protect your tenor/baritone on a plane?
The alto is no problem, but my JK tenor is to big too carry on board inside the plane. So I have to check it in as special luggage. Finding a flight case that fits the JK isn't that easy here. So to protect the original case I bought a Gator keyboard gig bag and some big bubbles bubble plastic. Here are some pictures

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have flown my bari with a Protec before. Some might think I was crazy, but I really think it was an advantage. The odd shape makes it hard to stack anything on top of it, plus it is obvious it is a musical intrument. That won't stop all people from chucking it, but I would guess most would be less inclined to. I used bubble wrap on the inside of the case, taking up every empty nook and cranny. I also used it to firlmy wedge shut the bell keys and the C/Eb keys. A good bump to the case is enough to knock these out just from the weight of the keys and their length. The only problem I had on the tour was a pad fell out. Baggage compartment temperatures might have had something to do with that, but it probably didn't have enough shellac to begin with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,217 Posts
Thanks for the pix. Very interesting. I would hesitate to label anything as a musical instrument, though. Things have a way of disappearing if people think they have value, especially guitars. If you want baggage handlers to be a little more careful tossing it around, you might think of another label that will have the same effect but be less likely to be stolen. Maybe something like "child's funeral casket."

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You might look into the J. Winter case - should fit the JK and is possibly compact enough to fit in the overhead compartment. I have the bari J. Winter case and I've heard of other players taking that on the plane as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pix. Very interesting. I would hesitate to label anything as a musical instrument, though. Things have a way of disappearing if people think they have value, especially guitars. If you want baggage handlers to be a little more careful tossing it around, you might think of another label that will have the same effect but be less likely to be stolen. Maybe something like "child's funeral casket."
Thanks for the tip! I will immediately change the label from "instrument" to ... anything else that is not tempting to steal, but that everyone understands is breakable.

You might look into the J. Winter case - should fit the JK and is possibly compact enough to fit in the overhead compartment. I have the bari J. Winter case and I've heard of other players taking that on the plane as well.
On bigger planes yes, but the small Dash 8 planes that they use in the northern part of Norway do not have space enough for a tenor to fit in the overhead compartment.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you have a quiet word to the captain, you can usually get them to store your horn up in the cabin. Usually there's a ton of space behind the pilot's seat. Sometimes they'll even let you fly the plane for a few minutes. Guess it helps relieve the boredom factor for them on long flights : )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.