Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a inspired musician. I really like both instruments, but I favor the alto more and i would like to play it in my school's jazz band, instead of playing the tenor . However I am the only tenor player, and there is already a 1st and 2nd alto, but i feel better connected with the alto. I am hesitant about talking to my band director about switching to the alto because i asked to play the tenor (after recieving a tenor and wanting to try it out) and also there are no other tenors who could possiblely take my place. Should i just deal with it and play the tenor for my band or get switched?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Hello I am a inspired musician. I really like both instruments, but I favor the alto more and i would like to play it in my school's jazz band, instead of playing the tenor . However I am the only tenor player, and there is already a 1st and 2nd alto, but i feel better connected with the alto. I am hesitant about talking to my band director about switching to the alto because i asked to play the tenor (after recieving a tenor and wanting to try it out) and also there are no other tenors who could possiblely take my place. Should i just deal with it and play the tenor for my band or get switched?
Yes just deal, You will learn a lot playing tenor. If you play both tenor playing will make your alto playing better.

·
2,833 Posts
yepp i would,nt worry about that really, you could develope your tenor playing a lot more and use it elsewhere!..also i reckon its quite cool to be the only tenor!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool i'll follow the advice. Currently i have a Big B tenor that needs to be repaired, i was planning on saving money (from job) up on getting a Professional Yamaha Custom alto, but should i juss get the Big B repaired and focus on the Tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,002 Posts
Yes.

Or...

....get the Buescher fixed well, and don't buy such an expensive Alto as your first horn. Get something for $400-500 instead, just to get acquainted with the smaller horn, and put the lion's share of the $ into the Buescher.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ditto what JayeSF said. For me the Bueuschers are like a cross between a Mark VI and a 10M. The Big B is a hard horn to beat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was in almost your same position. I was a pretty good alto player usually first or second chair in junior high, but to be in Symphony band band my freshman year in high school I had to play the Bari sax. I figured I would play Bari and try out on alto again the next year as some of the altos graduated. My band director talked me into playing Bari every year as a our bass/tuba section were not the greatest. I did it for "the band". Looking back I resent being just a "metronome" for the tuba players to hear so they could keep the beat. Bari for jazz or stage is cool, but for symphony very boring IMO. ( No, my band director was not being nice by sheltering me for my skill level. I was 1st/2cd alto in college and got a couple of Division 1's doing solos on alto still in high school). It may sound selfish, but you only live once and if you feel like an alto player- then be it! Don't be like me and regret or resent remembering band playing an instrument you like less than alto. Another tenor player will show up or they will be without. Don't be the "nice guy" who does it for "the band"- no one will remember the nice guy or team player anyway. Excell at the instrument you feel like playing and go as high as you can. DON"T SETTLE! Just my 2 cents.

Also as you grow older you can have/play both alto and tenor. Some of us do.

Finally, I agree with the other posters- vintage Bueschers are the best!

·
Banned
593 Posts
i played Tenor after a year at clarinet in 6th grade. the completion for tenor was negligible and i think i would have worked harder playing alto. the down side was that the girl playing alto in high school was not going to be beat soon by me. So, playing tenor was great. In college, i had the reverse situation. the tenor in the jazz ensemble was basically locked in. So, I bought an alto. so, i think you want to get to play. do whatever it takes. if you think you can beat them, stick with alto, if not, go to tenor. I sort of wish id played alto when younger. the tenor was so big carrying to school every day i bothered me. In the end however, id go with what gives the most playing time.

·
19,002 Posts
...what if you end up getting the second Alto chair ? You have then moved from First Tenor chair to Second Alto chair.

oomph......

Also, while I understand the scenario Madhatter noted above...it isn't quite apples-to-apples. Keep in mind that Coolsax DID initially tell the director that he wanted to be the Tenor player. If the band is sorta counting on you...there is that angle on it as well.

Maybe you don't have to be so selfless for all the years you are there, certainly. But for now...maybe.

·
Registered
418 Posts
...what if you end up getting the second Alto chair ? You have then moved from First Tenor chair to Second Alto chair.

oomph......

Also, while I understand the scenario Madhatter noted above...it isn't quite apples-to-apples. Keep in mind that Coolsax DID initially tell the director that he wanted to be the Tenor player. If the band is sorta counting on you...there is that angle on it as well.

Maybe you don't have to be so selfless for all the years you are there, certainly. But for now...maybe.
I didn't catch that. Since he pushed for tenor, maybe he should stick to it at least this year and inform the director he wants back to alto so he/she can recruit more tenor players for next year. I just don't want to see him make the same mistake I made. Once he informs the director don't let him/her guilt him into staying on tenor if he really feels the alto.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
Stick with the tenor!! When you get out of school, and if you keep playing (hopefully you will), you'll be glad you play tenor. It will get you a lot more gigs, it sounds better, has a bigger huskier tone, is much more versatile, it sounds better, the audience will like it better, it has a better tone quality, you can really get down with tbe blues on tenor, etc. Oh, and did I mention it sounds better? That is if you put in the time and practice and really work on it, rather than selling it and messing around on alto for the next few years until you discover that you really need to get back on tenor. Also, just listen to all those great tenor players, from Dexter Gordon to King Curtis. You can't sound like that on alto. I hope my bias isn't showing... But I've played both horns, and I do love the alto (when Charlie Parker plays it). But stick with the tenor.

Also, your Buescher Big B is one of the best tenors ever made. I have a MKVI and a Buescher Aristocrat, and I can say for sure if I hadn't bought the VI years ago for a good price, I would only have the Buescher. I agree with ferrari, the Aristocrat is a cross between a Conn 10M and a MKVI. It has many of the best qualities of both, plus its own thing, a great tone. Save your money and get that Big B put into top playing condition; you won't regret it!

·
19,002 Posts
I didn't catch that. Since he pushed for tenor, maybe he should stick to it at least this year and inform the director he wants back to alto so he/she can recruit more tenor players for next year. I just don't want to see him make the same mistake I made. Once he informs the director don't let him/her guilt him into staying on tenor if he really feels the alto.
No worries...actually...your story reminded me of something even more horrible.

About a year ago this fella bought an Alto from me...guy was maybe in his late 50's, nice guy. Really wanted to get "back" into Alto.
He told me he was a Trombone and Low Brass player. So we struck up a conversation, because that's what I started on, too. He said he had played sax for a couple of years in school and really was diggin' it, but then he came up to HS and there were tryouts. So he had his audition...and the teacher/director afterward told him he wasn't gonna cut it on Sax...but he would like to try him out on Baritone Horn.

So the guy switched to that and played it, and Trombone, and Tuba, from there onward.

The fella said he ran into his old director at some affair 25 or so years later, and they were talking about the old HS band days...and the director, quite chatty after having partaken in the available refreshment...told him:

"you know, you weren't a bad Sax player at all...we just needed more Low Brass players...." :confused:

:fftheai:

(it would'a been friggin' hilarious, but the guy swore it was true....)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own both. I personally like the sound of a tenor better but in a band the alto gets all the glory and good parts. But in a jazz band i play tenor and prefer it to the alto in jazz band. I think you should stick with your tenor.

·
6,831 Posts
Good for you! I play all SATB, and in HS ended my senior year on SATB for the last concert! I know own SATB plus a C ;) .

I have been called to gigs on Tenor and Bari, but aside from my own Jazz trio, have never been called on Alto!

I am lead Alto in the local community Jazz Band, and at some local community festivals, but they're just for fun, and no pay is involved (go figure, and Alto is my main axe too!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts