Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tenor, no love for me?

12K views 51 replies 37 participants last post by  keluitry 
#1 ·
I just received a Tenor today that I bought from Ebay. I am disappointed though. Well, not with this particular horn coz I really like it, but with the tenor in general. Honestly, I've never tried one before, I only look at them at the store. I contemplated between alto and tenor for a while and a couple days ago, after some research, I made my up my mind and bought me a tenor. I got it today and held it and tested it... but not for long. My problem with the horn is, first, it looks big... actually, it is big. It's almost half the size of my height (i'm only 5'5"). Second, it's heavy and it feels like theres an anchor dragging my head down to the floor. Third, I wasn't comfortable fingering the keys.

What I hate about this situation is I really like the sound of tenor. I don't think it's better than alto but it sound more masculine. But it appears like I'm not man enough to carry a heavy horn :( So, is this it for me and a tenor sax? I have no problem getting an alto but I was just a little bit disappointed that tenor didn't work out for me.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
This is why I love this forum. Lots of information and people are always willing to give advice. While you guys are replying to this thread, I was practicing with my tenor. Yes, I took it out of the case again and gave it another try. Guess what... I probably spent 2 hours last night and another 3 this afternoon. I think I'm already getting used to it. The strap that came with it is killing my neck. I need to get a padded one. I am enjoying its tone as well, it sounds perfect with easy listening music, which I like. I played some christmas song and it sounded good. I'm getting a lot of squeaks though, maybe I need a new reed and mouthpiece or maybe I just suck and need more practice :D Anyway, I think I'll just keep it and maybe someday I'll get better on this horn. Thank you guys for saving me from ditching away a nice sax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.