Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,493 Posts
From a money perspective, it's probably best to sell it as-is with full disclosure. From a repair-cost perspective i think Oric has the right idea.

Signets are not that valuable an instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,493 Posts
Most of the potential buyers of a horn in the likely price range on EBay have little interest in the finer points that most of the SOTW crowd ooooooh's and ahhhhhhh's over. The neck, even with neatly done side patch plates, will scare off many of those buyers as well- and making it cosmetically "almost not there" will probably cost more than any return you'd get on your investment.
I disagree,

A saxophone neck is hardly a flippant item. There are few pieces of instrument provenance so critical to the character, value (as a %), and sellability of that instrument than the original neck of a saxophone, even if we are talking about a tenor not worth much more than a nominal amount. I would much rather have a damaged and fixable original neck than one with a replacement.

Non-original necks put many buyers out of the bidding pool. Even beginners will recieve enough coaching and tips to avoid horns with non-original necks for reasons that go way beyond "oooohs" and "aaaahs".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts