Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice playing Selmer Signet that needs a neck repair. I took it to Mike Hammer locally and he said he would charge around $200 to repair it. He recommended finding a used signet neck, but it's not that easy to find.

I currently purchased a new tenor sax. Should I sell this horn as is, try to find someone cheaper to fix it, or what? What would you guys do? I assume I'd be better off getting the neck repaired than trying to sell it as is. Can anyone recommend a cheaper repair tech in the Philadelphia area or is it pretty much you get what you pay for? I included a picture of the crack. It's on both sides of the neck.

Musical instrument Automotive tire Rim Circle Wind instrument

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Given the horn itself- a perfectly good but not liable to go for big bucks model- and the nature of the damage, I'd just spring for another neck. Any theoretic increase in sell value based upon "original neck" will be more than offset by the "original neck with a lot of repair work and patches- however neat- on both sides" factor.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Woodwind-/1...c&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1 gets you many options for buying a perfectly good, thrifty, tenor neck which will work just fine with the horn- at worst you'll have have to have the tenon fit to the receiver; a very simple job.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
If someone wanted to play the horn to see what it was like they couldn't do it with a crack in the neck. If you're selling on Ebay it wouldn't have to be fixed but horns needing repair may not reach their value.
I'm not sure if it's worth spending $200. Does the price include a relacquer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
you are getting ripped off for 200.00 Send it my guy, he'll do the job great and much cheaper. Pm me for the phone #

·
1,491 Posts
From a money perspective, it's probably best to sell it as-is with full disclosure. From a repair-cost perspective i think Oric has the right idea.

Signets are not that valuable an instrument.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree with JfW. Check out the SOLD prices for these in "playable" condition vs. 'needs work'...
http://www.ebay.com/csc/Tenor-/1623...kw=signet&_fln=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283
One that needs work - $125, but it was missing parts including neck & had dents.
Ones that didn't need work - $150; $300; $350.
I would suspect yours would fetch around $200 as-is......is it worth fixing the neck (time & effort) to break even, or loose $$$?
And there's always a possibility of selling to someone who already has an extra neck.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
A 69 buck generic replacement neck propels the horn into the "plays out of the box" category which, as indicated above, probably translates into $100 to $200 more in selling price. You might, sadly enough, actually wind up reducing the selling price if you include the correct neck in need of repair as part of the auction along with the replacement neck.

Most of the potential buyers of a horn in the likely price range on EBay have little interest in the finer points that most of the SOTW crowd ooooooh's and ahhhhhhh's over. The neck, even with neatly done side patch plates, will scare off many of those buyers as well- and making it cosmetically "almost not there" will probably cost more than any return you'd get on your investment.

List the damaged original separately for a thirty to fifty buck BIN on a 25 day listing- someone'll eventually spring for it. It would help if you could find someone with a Buescher from the era and confirm (or deny) that the neck will work on those as well.

Or not!

As an aside- were I keeping the horn as a back up beater I'd surely have the original neck repaired to a good playable, though not necessarily good cosmetically, state though it might cost a bit more than the generic tenor replacement neck.

·
1,491 Posts
Most of the potential buyers of a horn in the likely price range on EBay have little interest in the finer points that most of the SOTW crowd ooooooh's and ahhhhhhh's over. The neck, even with neatly done side patch plates, will scare off many of those buyers as well- and making it cosmetically "almost not there" will probably cost more than any return you'd get on your investment.
I disagree,

A saxophone neck is hardly a flippant item. There are few pieces of instrument provenance so critical to the character, value (as a %), and sellability of that instrument than the original neck of a saxophone, even if we are talking about a tenor not worth much more than a nominal amount. I would much rather have a damaged and fixable original neck than one with a replacement.

Non-original necks put many buyers out of the bidding pool. Even beginners will recieve enough coaching and tips to avoid horns with non-original necks for reasons that go way beyond "oooohs" and "aaaahs".

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Respectfully disagree- at least for Ebay sales- perhaps for in person sales I'd agree with you. I'd not want a non original neck (nor would I want a repaired one when, in the class the horn is likely to be in there are equivalent horns with non damaged necks in the same or lower price range he'd have to ask to recoup his investment) but there are a lot of fish in the buying sea. This type of horn will appeal to the broader audience looking for a cheap horn that plays to screw around with and see if it's worth learning the sax. But there it is- ask a question on a chat board and receive a veritable cornucopia of advice!

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm going to look into having the original neck repaired cheaper and then I'm probably going to donate it to my old High School or give it to a local neighborhood boy that I know has a really big interest in music. I'd rather see it go to better use than to let it go so cheap on fleabay.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts