Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what believe is an original SILVER MKVI tenor neck in every shape and form.I'm a bit mislead,however at the numerical markings.It does not have the serial number stamped on the rear base of the neck ring as we all know.It does however have the number 14334 stamped on the lower 6 o'clock bottom face of the octave mechanism (down below near the tenon).
I can't imagine this being a 1931 Cigar Cutter neck....Firstly,I have not any experience with Cigar Cutters to compare.This neck looks EXACTLY like my other early 50's MKVI neck.It fits my MKVI horn just as good and the physical measurements near perfectly matched.The Selmer Paris logo on front also identical to my MKVI neck.
What can it be???
How would you differentiate a Cigar Cutter neck from a MKVI??
Thanks all,
Jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
cigar cutter necks have the spaghetti style yoke, while M6 necks have the modern style yoke.

Cigar cutter tenor neck has, if memory serves, a slightly larger/fatter diameter, and is slightly different length(don't remember if longer or shorter). Some changes occurred in the cc necks. The earlier ones are larger diameter, mellower sound, while the later ones are narrower diameter and have an edgier sound.

As to your neck serial number, it's probably missing the leading '1', indicating it was originally matched up with M6 horn #114334.
Understand that the M6 neck numbering thing was for inventory control on horns shipped to the U.S., so no need to stamp the full 6 digit serial. Later in the M6 run, Selmer just started scratching the number inside the neck, vs. stamping them on the back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right on.It looks 100% identical to my 5 digit neck and I know the early 'spaghetti' style yoke now that you mentioned it.The missing '1' in front of the number makes good sense.
I'm just surprised that the number is not on the actual body of the neck,but stamped on the octave yoke mechanism itself,which as we know is removeable..
Thx
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts