Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing sax for ~9 years, tenor for 7. I had a setup I really like on tenor (Meyer HR 6M with Rico Select Jazz 3M), but when I picked up the tenor the other day, I wasn't pleased with the sound or the way it played.
I just recently started playing soprano, and I'm fairly certain I got too big of a facing on my soprano mpc (Bari HR 68). Well I'd been playing soprano exclusively for the past month or so, and I got used to the amount of air that setup required. Just playing the tenor, I feel like I need more resistance to air flow - not sure if I'm describing this right, but sort of like when you have a way too soft reed. I'm in a quandary over whether to just try a harder reed or if I need to look for a new mpc and, if so, what. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I forgot to note. Not sure how important this is, but I'm playing a cannonball stone series I bought about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Too little resistance is as unwelcome as too much of it.

I recognise the syndrome you are describing. Years ago, I left my tenor gathering dust for a couple of years as I played bari exclusively. When I finally went back to tenor I found that I was overloading / stalling my Lawton 6*B all the time. I tried harder reeds, but found that my setup became un-cooperative. I then switched to a wider tip mpc - an 8* metal link I think it was. Problem solved!

·
Banned
184 Posts
What's the quandary? A harder reed is an inexpensive place to start. If it works it works. If it doesn't, it looks like time to move up a couple of notches on the opening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts