Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a PMXT66 and love it, I play more alto than tenor at present, I often get my tenor out to play and find it is harder to blow, I believe the mouthpiece opening is to large for me, it is a Vandoren V16 T7 106 opening. could someone point me in the right direction regarding a more suitable mouthpiece for me, I play a jazz, rock and blues, I like the warm big sound of the mauuriat tenor, and have considered the Theo Wanne size 6- 95tip or the Joby Jaz 6 or 7 78-83 tip. On my alto i have a meyer 5 tip 71. The two that I mentioned are up in the $$ is there something out there price competative/ or should I go for the Wanne or Joby Jazz?

Any thoughts or expiriences would be greatly appreciated, Andrew, Down Under Aussie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
What reeds are you using? Maybe try a softer reed first, as a T7 is not a huge opening, and the V16 is pretty easy blowing. Or if you can, get to a music store and try some more closed pieces to see if that is the issue. (Or see if there a friend who has one they will let you try.) If you are doing rock and blues you may not really want a more closed piece.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Andrew,

I'm in Adelaide as well and am a P. Mauriat endorser. Artstove is right, if you like the qualities of the V16 with your 66 tenor, try a slightly smaller tip opening and/or slightly softer reeds, may be no need for a new piece at all. I'm pleased to see another Adelaide player has bought one. I'm the Uni sax Lecturer, hope to meet and hear you sometime, enjoy your tenor, they are fantastic horns.

best, DC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts