Sax on the Web Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts

· Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,041 ·
Full review and sound clips posted of the Drake Jerry Bergonzi Power Resonance Tenor Saxophone mouthpiece. If you are looking for a rich, thick tenor tone that can sound killer on a jazz standard but then rip into overdrive volume without getting overly bright and thin, then this is a great mouthpiece to try out! Check it out!

Finger Thumb Bumper Tool Gesture

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
Today I am reviewing the GetASax GS SLANT 7* tenor saxophone mouthpiece which is a very precise copy of a great original Florida Otto Link 7* Slant Signature tenor saxophone mouthpiece.

In my opinion, the GetASax GS SLANT tenor saxophone mouthpiece is a terrific tenor saxophone mouthpiece for those of you looking for a tenor mouthpiece with a tone that leans to the round warmer side of the tenor saxophone tone spectrum but can get a nice brightness when pushed. It is a great jazz mouthpiece that would be incredible for straight ahead jazz playing in my opinion.

Compared to a modern day hard rubber Otto Link, I find the GS SLANT to be far superior in tone, balance and playability to the modern hard rubber Otto Links I have tried out. I would imagine that most of that improvement comes from the hand finishing and specific attention given to the exact 10 point facing curve, tip rail, baffle and chamber design. Check it out!

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,043 ·
Today, I am again reviewing one of my favorite tenor saxophone mouthpieces, my beloved Lamberson J7 hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpiece that I have had for about 14+ years. I reviewed the Lamberson J7 many years ago here on the site but the original Lamberson J7 review is pretty lame compared to my standards for reviews these days. I wrote one measly paragraph that had few specific details about the Lamberson J7 tenor sax mouthpiece I was reviewing.

Now, 14-15 years later, I figure it is time to revisit this fabulous Lamberson J7 tenor saxophone mouthpiece and post an updated review with more photos, details and sound clips. Hope you find it helpful!

Hand Finger Thumb Plant Nail

13,852 Posts

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
I just posted a new review and sound clips of the absolutely beautiful Macsax Jalapeño 8* tenor saxophone mouthpiece. The Jalapeño is a high baffled, extra-large chambered tenor sax mouthpiece that produces a bright focused tone that is still fat and full sounding. It has tons of power and projection for those rockin' live gigs you might be on. Check out the full review and sound clips below.........

Finger Communication Device Thumb Gadget Nail

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
Just posted a review and sound clips of the gold Theo Wanne Shiva 3 tenor saxophone mouthpiece in an 8 tip opening. Theo refers to this mouthpiece as "the destroyer" and boy does it have power! This mouthpiece is for those tenor sax players out there who just want to be heard. Loads of power, projection, edge and brightness determined by how you shape the tone. Check out the full review and three sound clips.

Hand Plant Gesture Finger Nail

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,047 ·
Today I posted review and sound clip of the Alexander Superial I Jazz 7* tenor saxophone mouthpiece. My first thoughts when playing this mouthpiece were "smooth as butter". Those of you who have experienced this know what I am describing. The Superial I leans to the darker and warmer side of the tenor saxophone tone spectrum while still having a concentrated focus to the tone that can be pushed and molded. This really is a unique mouthpiece in how it blows and responds so immediately to articulation and voicing of the notes. Check out the full review and sound clip below!

Alexander Superial I Jazz 7* Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Automotive design Amber

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Just finished a review and sound clips of the new Drake FG model (Freddie Gregory) tenor saxophone mouthpiece in an 8 tip opening. This was a great tenor mouthpiece to play with loads of power but still incredibly versatile at low or medium volumes. This is a great example of the kind of tenor mouthpiece I was desperately searching for 20 years ago for gigging but could not find. Another great mouthpiece by Aaron Drake! Check out the full review at the link below.......

Hand Plant Aircraft Finger Gesture

13,852 Posts

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
Just finished an in-depth review with sound clips of the Theo Wanne Durga 5 gold tenor saxophone mouthpiece.

The Theo Wanne Durga 5 is ranked second in brightness next to the Shiva 3 tenor sax mouthpiece but being second in this case does not imply that it is in any way inferior to the Shiva 3 because, as Theo describes it, “No other mouthpiece in history has been designed like this; it will blow you away since it can both scream and play a soft ballad. It is so much fun to play! Its huge sound makes everything before it sound thin and/or stuffy by comparison.”

Granted, Theo Wanne is probably a bit biased about his own mouthpieces, but check out my detailed review to see what I think of the Durga 5 and hear how it sounds.......

Cloud Hand Sky Gesture Finger

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
Today, I posted a new review and sound clips of the 2022 Gerber 7* Vintage Slant tenor saxophone mouthpiece by Johannes Gerber in South Africa. The Gerber Vintage Slant is a tenor sax mouthpiece that is warm, rich and full-bodied in sound while having just enough brightness and "zing" in the tone to give the notes a beautiful "singing" quality. Johannes Gerber's mouthpiece work is meticulous and exceptional. Check out the full review for more details and to listen to how it sounds..........

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,052 ·
Today, I posted a review and sound clips of the SYOS Originals line of tenor saxophone mouthpieces which includes the SMOKY, STEADY and SPARK model tenor saxophone mouthpieces.

These are three models of tenor sax mouthpieces that give the player a range of saxophone tone and power for every playing situation at a more affordable price point. Check out the full review and sound clips below.

Communication Device Gadget Grey Finger Everyday carry

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·
New Theo Wanne Lakshmi Tenor Sax Mouthpiece Review!!! Theo hit it out of the park with this one........
......In my opinion, the Theo Wanne Lakshmi 7* tenor saxophone mouthpiece is a terrific metal tenor saxophone mouthpiece for those looking for a classic, warm, hearty, focused, vintage Otto Link type tenor saxophone tone that can still be incredibly powerful. I honestly loved the warmth and tonal complexity, but what I loved along with it, was the power that I could get out of this Lakshmi tenor sax mouthpiece. This mouthpiece could take all of the air I could give it and produce an incredibly powerful tenor saxophone sound.
I really love this Theo Wanne Lakshmi tenor saxophone mouthpiece. I have to be honest, I have been looking for a mouthpiece like this for years. A mouthpiece that can give the warmth and complexity of tone of a "killer" Otto Link but also deliver the volume, power and focus that so many of us need in a modern setting. The Lakshmi doesn't do this by multiplying the brights with a high baffle like many mouthpieces do but by what I believe is a balance in the design that allows the Theo Wanne Lakshmi to really travel the path between the "classic" Otto Link sound but also deliver more power and focus than most Otto Link metal mouthpieces I have tried can deliver. Well done Theo Wanne! Check out the Full Review and Sound Clips......

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Just posted a new review of the Avel Sound Concept Foehn tenor saxophone mouthpiece. This is a great playing tenor mouthpiece that is also pretty affordable. Check out the full review and sound clips for more information........

Here is a quote from the review......
"The Avel Sound Concept Foehn tenor saxophone mouthpiece played great for me. I found the ASC Foehn mouthpiece to have a beautiful brightness to the core sound that gave the high register a ringing and singing quality to the notes. I assume this brightness in the sound is the effect of the high rollover baffle and medium chamber.

The ASC Foehn mouthpiece had plenty of power and brightness when pushed as you can hear in the louder parts of the sound clip where I play more aggressively. I believe some of the brightness and crispness is due to the ability to use a softer reed on the Foehn’s shorter facing curve. The softer reed sounds crisp and the shorter curve gives it enough resistance so it doesn’t sound like a wet noodle like on other tenor mouthpieces with a longer facing curve on them.

Sometimes, like on my JVW Otto Link, the shorter facing curve can make the low register not as lush and thick sounding as it might with a longer facing curve but the ASC Foehn seems well balanced in that the low notes sound thick and full. You can hear how the Foehn sounds so good playing on a ballad or laid back jazz tune. The soft reed allows the low notes to have a lush and fat quality to them that makes them sound great to my ears.

The intonation of the Foehn tenor mouthpiece was excellent and the scale and range of the saxophone sounded smooth and even to me as I played. The altissimo register was easy to play and I found the ASC Foehn mouthpiece to be expressive and easy to control."

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
Just posted a new review and sound clips of the new BSS (Boston Sax Shop) R-Series tenor saxophone mouthpiece in a 7* tip opening. The Boston Sax Shop R-Series 7* tenor saxophone mouthpiece is described by Jack at BSS as being a reference to the great large chamber tenor sax mouthpieces of the past (he refers to the Otto Link Reso Chamber tenor saxophone mouthpieces as an inspiration). From what I understand from Jack, he wanted to capture the essence and sound of the vintage Reso Chamber tenor mouthpieces in larger tip openings like 7*, 8, 8* so modern players can enjoy the warmth and lushness of tone that these mouthpieces deliver but in a tip opening that many modern players prefer now.

What strikes me as unique is how great this mouthpiece sounds with reverb added. Usually I don't like darker more spread mouthpieces with reverb but I think the R-Series with reverb sounds killer in my opinion. Check out the review and sound clips for more information about the BSS R-Series tenor saxophone mouthpiece.

Hand Computer keyboard Finger Cosmetics Material property

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
Just posted a new review of the Theo Wanne Gaia 4 tenor saxophone mouthpiece. This is another addition to the fabulous Gaia line of tenor saxophone mouthpieces by Theo Wanne. The Gaia 4 has a new chamber design and lower baffle than the Gaia 3 model giving it a thicker more hearty tone than the Gaia 3 model. Check out the full review and sound clips.......

Theo Wanne Gaia 4 Gold Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Hand Gesture Cloud Finger Thumb

Attachments

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,058 ·
Just posted a new review and sound clips of the new Otto Link EB (Early Babbitt) Tone Edge Connoisseur tenor sax mouthpiece. Check out the full review and clips at the link below.........

"The Otto Link Early Babbitt Connoisseur tenor mouthpiece played with a thick depth of tone that I loved. When pushed, it got considerably brighter and at time edgy but the tone still remained thick and full in my opinion. I have included altissimo clips with each reed I used and although I was pushing the Otto Link EB Connoisseur mouthpiece quite a bit, I was no where near pushing it to full volume.

This new Otto Link EB tenor mouthpiece has tons of power when pushed in my opinion. I really feel like JJ Babbitt did a great job with the baffle height and profile because this new EB tenor mouthpiece really can straddle that line between a respectable jazz tenor sound and a in your face Brecker kind of sound when really pushed.

In my opinion, the Otto Link Early Babbitt Connoisseur tenor saxophone mouthpiece is a great hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpiece for those looking for a classic Early Babbitt Otto Link kind of tenor sax sound that can be full and thick with character but pushed to be pretty darn bright and powerful when needed."

Cloud Sky Finger Thumb Aircraft

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
Today, I am reviewing the new BetterSax Burnin' 7* hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpiece made through a collaboration between Jay Metcalf of BetterSax and Jody Espina of Jody Jazz saxophone mouthpieces.

The BetterSax Burnin' tenor saxophone mouthpiece was a lot of fun to play! I am not sure if I have played a tenor sax mouthpiece before that had such a huge tonal variation accessible between dark and bright. When playing at a soft volume, the Burnin' tenor sax mouthpiece had one of the darkest, warmest and lush tenor saxophone tones I have experienced.
At full volume, the Burnin' tenor sax mouthpiece becomes even brighter and more focused. It can handle brighter type rock and R&B type lines and altissimo and can really be quite powerful when pushed to the max. This variation from soft, dark and warm to an "in your face" bright and more focused tone with edge is really quite interesting and makes the Burnin' tenor sax mouthpiece quite versatile in my opinion. Check out the full review and three sound clips at the link below……..

BetterSax Burnin’ Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Cloud Sky Finger Gesture Travel

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Today, I am posting a battle royal, fight to the death, comparison between six Theo Wanne tenor saxophone mouthpieces that I have already reviewed here at Neffmusic. Here are the six Theo Wanne mouthpieces doing battle in round one today: the Ambika 3, the Lakshmi, the Gaia 3, the Gaia 4, the Durga 5, and lastly, the Shiva 3.

For this Battle Royal-Round One, we are starting with 8 bars from the ballad entitled “My One and Only Love”.

Who will win this battle? Who will die? Decide for yourself...... (Don't forget to let me know your thoughts in the comments on my site.)

Theo Wanne Battle Royal Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece Showdown: Round One-Ballad

Cloud Beer Glass bottle Sky Alcoholic beverage

1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts