Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1079 Posts

· Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
New website is www.neffmusic.com
I just got a piece back from Ed Zentera and decided to put a recording on there. I'm always trying different pieces so I figured I'd see if this might help any of you out there who are like me. I have 8 tenor piece right now and am trying to decide what I want to keep and what I will sell. I'm not looking for any feedback on my playing at all. I'm just playing what ever I feel at the moment. This is in no way suppose to be a studio type recording just me goofing around. I am interested in what you guys might think of the sound or tone of the piece. This is just a hobby for me so as I have time I'll post more recordings. I hope this will help some of you out there(although it might hurt those of you with GAS:D ) Let me know how the website works. thanks, steve

· Premium Member
455 Posts
Sounds very nice to me throughout the range of the instrument. I agree with rispoli, though: it would be good to hear more tracks with other mouthpieces. Otherwise, it's hard to comment on the mouthpiece; impossible to know what aspects of the sound are due to the mouthpiece, rather than to your playing style, embouchure, breathing, etc., recording hardware, the instrument, neck, etc., etc.

· VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
17,615 Posts
Steve's a KILLER player and I've always enjoyed his big, focussed sound when he's been over to check out mpc's here.
Great guy to work with too, so if he has mpc's he's selling that he says are GREAT players but just not the sound he's looking for...believe him, he knows what he's talking about.

Nice soundclips...always great to hear you!

· Registered
7,851 Posts
WOW. sounds great even with the built in mic.

at teh beginning it sounded to have a bit more edge than I liked, but then it settled down, nice resonant full sound. is that the Barone he called the "standard" a berg with out the problems?

· Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,243 Posts
YOU SOUND GOOD!:thumbrig:

I_hear_bOSTON STUFF AND I LIKE IT.:D

You should be more exposed, as a player Steve. Not just teaching and playing weddings.

Man, this is cool. Thanks.

· Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,568 Posts
I'm both incredibly impressed and honored. Steve is a very discerning client (as are many other SOTW-ers). It was a real pleasure to work with him on this particular mpc project - especially to be able to hear the results. I sincerely look forward to any comparative analysis.

- Ed

· Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I posted a new mp3. It's with a Guardala MB II new production from WWBW. Let me know what you think. Can you hear a difference between it and the Barone or No? I have a question also for you audio experts out there. Right now I'm about a foot away from the mic. Would you get more of the characteristics of the mouthpiece where I am or should I back up and record from across the room. I just figured doing it close would be better. Thanks, Steve

· Registered
775 Posts
I can hear a difference.

Barone is more Link-like, rounder, warmer. A little fatter in the lowest register, too.
You play so effortlessly on the Barone (better facing?), very fast tonguing comes admirably easy. You really enjoy playing it.

MB II was not so bright as I expected. But a little brighter and somehow narrower than the Barone. Narrower but not thin, I think. Lower register not so fat as with the Barone.

Anyway on both pieces you definitely sound like yourself. I just like the Barone more.
Very fine playing!

1 - 20 of 1079 Posts