Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:treble::blankmea::blankmea::blankmea::blankmea:
Ok, so, I play the tenor saxophone.
I've been playing sax 8 years, the tenor 5.

I plan on getting a classical mouthpiece first, then jazz probably in college.
Also, ligature doesnt matter, because i think i'm gonna get a leather one when i do.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for mouthpieces?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Look into either Selmers or Vandorens.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
selmer s80 D will give you a really good door. It works not just for classic as for other styles. it fits great for classic.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The S80 D is very nice, indeed.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, and how willing you are to experiment with reed/ lig set-ups, the Morgan Excalibur is very nice! The lead alto I went to ODU with used it for both jazz ensemble and concert ensemble. He did, however, spend a lot of time working out the kinks to get the proper set-up to make that Excalibur work for both.

Anyway, that might serve both uses!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
What are you using now? You may not need different mouthpieces.
Maybe just different reeds.

You do know that Jazz is an attitude and not necessarily a mouthpiece? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you using now? You may not need different mouthpieces.
Maybe just different reeds.

You do know that Jazz is an attitude and not necessarily a mouthpiece? :)
I'm using Vandoren bluebox strength 4. Tried V16s, but i find them way too reedy.
I love them for classical, and they still work good for jazz.
I do know jazz is an attitude, but i feel perhaps a mouthpiece might help a little. :)
The mouthpiece i'm using is probably one of the cheapest ones they make. Doesnt even have a brand name on it.
Its plastic. :p

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Yeah, you're probably due for the upgrade to a better mouthpiece.
I'm old and kind of 'set in my ways', so I just use the same mouthpiece for nearly everything.
Not that I don't have a few.... I just put one of them on and play.
My favourite right now is an old Selmer C* that was reworked by F. Rast. It makes my old oddball Pan Am/Martin sound like milk chocolate. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
For legit classical work go with a Carvan, Selmer, or a Vandoren. On alto I loved the vandoren, and I can only assume that they are amazing on tenor as well.

It depends on what you get for classical, but it may not always work for jazz stuff at a college level (and how seriously you do it). There's no way my Caravan would work for my Jazz ensemble--but if you're just doing your own thing or in a smaller group, you can certainly use a slightly larger opening Selmer or Vandoren for jazz+classical purposes with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Vandoren Optimum TL3, they're quite excellent pieces (I use one myself for college work) and run less expensive than Selmers, plus, are not poorly faced like most Selmers. The Rovner ligature you talked about is ok, but the Vandoren M/O is really killer, especially on my TL3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts