Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Airegin 3

Votes: 11 33.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been messing around with mouthpiece/reed combinations again and wanted to get everyone's opinion of which setup sounds the best....So I've posted 3 versions of me jamming on Airegin at the following link...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=907755

Please take a listen to Airegin 1, 2 and 3....and cast your vote on which one sounds the best to you along with any comments you care to add....thanks in advance!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow....not a single response so far? :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I'll say #1 --- although #1 and #3 were similar in many ways. #2 had a certain brittleness/crispness to the sound that isn't really my taste, although I know plenty of players who look for that. #1 was slightly huskier than #3, although that can be a function of distance from the mic in recording, etc. Otherwise, the differences were really intangible/subjective/hard to define.

If I can take a guess, has #2 been your main piece? (Something sounded more comfortable / controlled there.)

You sound great, by the way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I'll say #1 --- although #1 and #3 were similar in many ways. ...
I found myself straining to tell the difference between the cuts. But if you put a gun to my head and said "What do you think?", I came to the same conclusion as MMT before reading any responses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
i could not choose much between 1+2 but 3 seemed a mellower tone to me, good playing overall, always nice to hear airegin"..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Been messing around with mouthpiece/reed combinations again and wanted to get everyone's opinion of which setup sounds the best....So I've posted 3 versions of me jamming on Airegin at the following link...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=907755

Please take a listen to Airegin 1, 2 and 3....and cast your vote on which one sounds the best to you along with any comments you care to add....thanks in advance!
I agree that 2 was a little brittle but I noticed it more on the head than I did when you were improvising...it sounded much better then. For me, I didn't like 1 because while dark, it sounded several times like it was right on the verge of chirpiness. 3 was a slightly quieter take but I thought it was a great mix of complexity without sacrificing all of the brightness. It also sounded very comfortable for you (although MyMartinTenor s right that you sound very comfy on 2). I would love to know what everything was sometime.
My 2 cents,
-Barry

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll say #1 --- although #1 and #3 were similar in many ways. #2 had a certain brittleness/crispness to the sound that isn't really my taste, although I know plenty of players who look for that. #1 was slightly huskier than #3, although that can be a function of distance from the mic in recording, etc. Otherwise, the differences were really intangible/subjective/hard to define.

If I can take a guess, has #2 been your main piece? (Something sounded more comfortable / controlled there.)

You sound great, by the way.
Yes....#2 has been my main piece.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback so far...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd agree with #1. #2 was thin by comparison. #3 was as good as #1 with less edge. I chose #1 thinking that "live" it may have more core sound that I enjoyed in #3, while retaining the fat edge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I preferred #2 the best. But I see I'm alone so far in this assessment. And since I'm listening through a mono one-ear headphone attached to my computer at work, it's possible I'm not getting a true enough representation. But if I am, I hear #2 as more full with a nicer timbre. I don't hear the edginess others are reporting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My horn is a Yani T991 with a bronze neck.....the setups are..

1. Metal Yani #9 with Hemke 2 1/2 reed

2. Metal Vandoren V16 T77 with V16 2 1/2 reed

3. Metal Vandoren V16 T75 with V16 2 1/2 reed

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vandoren Optimum lig was used in both Vandoren setups....

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Voted #2 It had overtones in the sound and had vibrance... I liked it man!
You sound great! The V16 metal pieces really are amazingly versatile pieces...

R

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I enjoyed your playing very much Perry, thank you.
I chose#2.

I would love to hear you play#2 and #3 with a V16 3 or 3.5 reed sometime.
Good job!

·
Banned
184 Posts
Tough call between #1 and #3. #1 was richer and Joe Henderson-ish, but it also sounded like you were fighting it some. #2 sounded on the thin and bright side.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
They all sound the same to me, with the exception that the airegin 3 sounds quieter.
I can usually here mouthpieces pretty well, but dont get much obvious here. So whatever feels best or has the most reeds play well on it is the best in my opinion.
:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts