Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a beginner (maybe nearing beginner/intermediate) tenor sax player. I'm interested in upgrading my mouthpiece. I currently play a Brilhart Ebolin 4.

I recently ordered two SYOS mouthpieces. A 6 and a 6*.
The 6* is a Jure Pukl model that states a very small chamber and a roll over baffle.
The 6 is a Scott Paddock model that states small chamber and step baffle.

I love the way these moutbpieces allow me to get a more full and loud sound. I don't seem to have much issue playing the bigger tip opening. I do have alot more squeaks and things with the new mouthpieces. But I imagine those would work out with time.

However, one big issue I'm having is with playing in tune. Mainly the higher register with these two SYOS pieces. Everything plays a bit flat, but most noticeably, high D, E, and F play almost a half step flat. And there's nothing I can do to adjust it.

I'm not the most in tune player, I know. But with my brilhart I am never anywhere near that out of tune and I can usually work with the note to get it within a few cents.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that I tried a selmer C* a while back. With this mouthpiece everything was extremely flat. Everything. I couldn't do anything to bring it up.

I realize there are many different factors at play here and my skills are quite likely to blame, but again, I can get my brilhart decently in tune. One thing I've noticed about my two SYOS and the selmer C* is how much longer they are than my brilhart. I'm wondering if my Chicago Style Jazz BnS, long mouthpieces, and I just aren't that compatible at this time.

I'm not in an area where there are many places to try mouthpieces. I'd like to head to sax alley soon and try some there. But might not be able to make it for a while.

My budget is around 200-250. I know that's not alot.

I'm curious about some of your opinions and suggestions

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Maybe a Vandoren or a Jazz Select would be good for you. Even the older macsax mouthpieces are really solid. You might actually save some money!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks. I found this one on Amazon that offers free returns. Might as well try it out

D’Addario Woodwinds Select Jazz Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece, D6M

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you tried finding new positions on the cork for your new mouthpieces? It's unlikely the same position works for all of them them. If it plays quite flat, you can counter that by sliding the mouthpiece further onto the cork.

Indeed, a small-chambered mouthpiece can ceteris paribus make the top register go flat. You can try improving your air support of the high notes and/or you can learn to tune slightly sharp so that playing the high notes in tune is easier, and then use your embouchure to play the middle and low notes slightly flat so that it evens out.

However, those SYOS models look like they have some extreme design features (very small chamber, step baffle) that are usually not recommended for beginners. A more-middle-of-the road design (medium tip opening, medium chamber, rollover baffle) is more common as you progress from beginner to intermediate. That does not mean you cannot figure out a way to play your SYOS pieces beatifully, but might want to get some help from a real teacher on that, if you do not have one, yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi, can you describe what you didn't like about the Brilhart? I'm not sure what issue you were trying to solve. It sounds like the new SYOS pieces have created new issues, like intonation. Getting rid of them solves that. You could sell them and go back to the Brilhart, which works better for you, or buy something else. But the choice of the something else would depend on the sound concept you want to work toward --fat and buttery like Zoot Sims, edgy and soulful like Booker Irvin, or what? Once you have the idea of the sound you want you can look for a piece with the general design characteristics that head that way. A small chamber high baffle piece won't help you go for a fat and dark tone. I have spent (or wasted) time trying to make a piece work that I really wanted to like but was just not the thing.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Hmmm - I'd stick with the Ebolin for a while. Like 2-3 years before changing mouthpieces. The SYOS mouthpiece issues you are having sound to me as if your embouchure is not developed enough yet. And the tip opening size change from Ebolin 4 (varies a lot, but around 0.075" on tenor), to a 6 (0.090") is quite a bit.

One thing to check if you don't take my advice and stay on the Ebolin (<VBG>), is to make sure your lower lip is at the break point on the mouthpiece. You can find that (approximately) by sliding a piece of thin computer paper between the reed and mouthpiece facing and noting where the paper stops. Make sure your lower lip is in that area. Since many mouthpiece facing lengths vary, this is the best way to ensure you have good control over the reed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good replies to get me thinking. Thank you

Hi, can you describe what you didn't like about the Brilhart?
Good question. I guess I'm just having the itch to try something new. It does feel a bit constricting and stuffy. I don't know. I've been playing it for a little over a year and my curiousity is going.

Indeed, a small-chambered mouthpiece can ceteris paribus make the top register go flat. You can try improving your air support of the high notes and/or you can learn to tune slightly sharp so that playing the high notes in tune is easier, and then use your embouchure to play the middle and low notes slightly flat so that it evens out
Interesting idea here thinking outside of the box. That type of thinking will come on handy for the future.
I may have jumped the gun a bit on the SYOS. I'm glad I tried them and the company seems really neat and friendly. But I reckon as long as I'm feeling like new mouthpieces, I just need to keep finding models to try out first

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hello,

I'm a beginner (maybe nearing beginner/intermediate) tenor sax player. I'm interested in upgrading my mouthpiece. I currently play a Brilhart 4

I'm not the most in tune player, I know. But with my brilhart I am never anywhere near that out of tune and I can usually work with the note to get it within a few cents.

Is your Brilhart a 4 or 4*? Sometimes that will make a difference. I have a Brilhart Ebolin and Tonalin 3* and they are very good mouthpieces. Try some different reeds too. I use Rigotti Gold Jazz. Also, before spending a lot on a new mouthpiece you may want to try a different Brilhart since they are inexpensive and easy to find and it’s a mouthpiece you are already familiar with. Also, you may want to have your Brilhart modified to help you get the results you want. I don’t think newer Brilharts were hand finished, so sometimes just cleaning up the table will help with response. You’ll still be under the cost of more expensive mouthpieces if you just have a few modifications done.

I also bought 2 of the SYOS pieces and found them to be flat in the upper register, but was able to work it out through changing my airstream and changing the position of the mouthpiece on the cork.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your Brilhart a 4 or 4*? Sometimes that will make a difference. I have a Brilhart Ebolin and Tonalin 3* and they are very good mouthpieces. Try some different reeds too. I use Rigotti Gold Jazz. Also, before spending a lot on a new mouthpiece you may want to try a different Brilhart since they are inexpensive and easy to find and it’s a mouthpiece you are already familiar with. Also, you may want to have your Brilhart modified to help you get the results you want. I don’t think newer Brilharts were hand finished, so sometimes just cleaning up the table will help with response. You’ll still be under the cost of more expensive mouthpieces if you just have a few modifications done.

I also bought 2 of the SYOS pieces and found them to be flat in the upper register, but was able to work it out through changing my airstream and changing the position of the mouthpiece on the cork.
Some great suggestions here, thank you! I may look into the brilhart mod idea. I am trying a daddario jazz select 6 right now. It is playing much more in tune for me than the SYOS. And I think I like the tip opening size.

But it would be nice to save that 200 if I can find someone to try and mod the brilhart

I believe mine is a 4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts