Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently play on a Soloist C* previously on a Optimum TL3. I played the TL3 all through HS and a year and a half after. And it always gave me problems. The blend wasn't that versatile, little dynamic range, and some intonation issues. When I switched to the Soloist all of the problems had be solved, but I'm not truly happy with it. The soloist is more resistant (which I don't like) and brighter (again, don't like), but I like it way more than I ever liked the Optimum.

What I'm looking for:
-A mouthpiece that's more free-blowing
-One that's not as bright but also not super dark and tubby sounding
-More focused than spread
-And one that's not going to give me trouble with blend, dynamics, and intonation.
I think one with a larger chamber and opening would be better, because for jazz I play a Link 7*
And NO I WILL NOT play Link for classical. A buddy of mine swears by it but every time I hear him in a group I can pick him out. And he's better than me IMO but in a classical setting it's just off.

I have $200 budget so.. I'm limited there. The nearest GOOD music store is 300+ miles away, the ones around here carry 2-3 S80 C*s or TL3s. Can't but multiple mouthpieces and try them out side by side, so I need as much help as I can get.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Couf Artist (non Jazz version) are excellent - nice tone color... not too dark or too bright.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
My recommendation is for a Vandoren T20 (V5 series, not Optimum). Wide dynamic range and tonal spectrum, great in the palm keys. It's not a large chamber, though. That's an entirely different (and less-focused) direction--Morgan (I love the 3C), Caravan, Houlik, etc. However, given your description (except for chamber size--which you are relating to your jazz mouthpiece), the T20 is the one that I would try. Most of my professional-playing friends who play tenor with orchestra (Cincinnati, Houston symphonies) use the T20, as does the tenor player in my quartet. It works great for every one of them.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
My recommendation is for a Vandoren T20 (V5 series, not Optimum). Wide dynamic range and tonal spectrum, great in the palm keys. It's not a large chamber, though. That's an entirely different (and less-focused) direction--Morgan (I love the 3C)
The Vandoren V5 series are very good and inexpensive. The Morgan 3C is also excellent but a little over your budget.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I use my Phil-Tone Otto Link Tone Edge and that's it! Nice blending, warm tone, lots of dynamics, easy blowing, great tone.. what more do you need?!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to my teacher, and he recommended I go with a focused piece, sort of hinting on the brighter side. He said I round-out and darken the soloist, so something similar to that.

When I played in a band and had Eugene Corporon (UNT) directing, he commented on my sound too. Warm sound with a bit of shimmer on top he said it was very nice!

Anyway my teacher really recommends the Optimum, but TL4 since I didn't like the TL3, do you know if it really differs that much from a TL3? And could the resistance issue be a problem with the facing? I know there's a very minor one but it seems to be getting worse, or I'm just disliking it the more I play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts