Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Selmer S80 C* Tenor sax mouthpiece. I need to clean it. Havent cleaned it all year. :faceinpalm:
How??????
:silent:
What is a legitament way to clean an ebonite mouthpiece without damaging it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I wash my mouthpieces in warm (not hot) water and use dishwashing liquid-soap on them. I use my hands to wash them but sometimes a kitchen sponge if they need it. I twist a paper towel into a long piece and use that inside, and maybe sometimes a bore-brush. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
washing with luke-warm water and a detergent is good but if you have the chance buy a ultrasonic cleaner for spectacles , they are cheap, I am cleaning my mouthpieces like this and they clean very well indeed, cold water (it will became lukewarm ) and mild liquid soap

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
yup no reason to use anything harsher than luke-warm water and soap unless you've got major build-up that's really hard and won't come off using that method. in which case, you can use lemon juice to soak the pieces and get hard calcium deposit build-up off pretty easily. not recommended unless needed though. a soft bristle tooth brush can assist with any of this, but make sure not to use abrasive polishes like car wax or hard-bristle brushes or it might get damaged.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have a Selmer S80 C* Tenor sax mouthpiece. I need to clean it. Havent cleaned it all year. :faceinpalm:
How??????
:silent:
What is a legitament way to clean an ebonite mouthpiece without damaging it?
Whatever you do don't use hot water.

Try cold water just to be safe and maybe dishwashing soap like Dave Dolson said.

And if calcium is built up in there try lemon juice.

The acid in the lemon juice should remove the calcium.

·
38,889 Posts
descaling works way better with vinegar.........

Vinegar (not balsamico , actually you need the cheap stuff) , unlike lemon juice, contains no sugars , lemon juice , although on average just as acid as vinegar, contains sugars, try to put some on your hands and let it dry, they will get sticky, do the same with vinegar and they won't.

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Tenor mouthpiece cleaning is clearly different from alto mouthpiece cleaning, apparantly. We need a new catagory. (-:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
descaling works way better with vinegar.........

Vinegar (not balsamico , actually you need the cheap stuff) , unlike lemon juice, contains no sugars , lemon juice , although on average just as acid as vinegar, contains sugars, try to put some on your hands and let it dry, they will get sticky, do the same with vinegar and they won't.
Don't you want that lemony fresh scent?

Just use lemon juice and rinse it out. No big deal here.

Dude, he's not going to leave the lemon juice in there and slap on a reed.

Quit being pedantic.

Yeah I'm sure there's a lot of sugar in lemon juice.

That's why they don't add any to make lemonade.

·
38,889 Posts
nothing pedantic about it, just informative. Lemon juice contains 2,5% (average) of sugars.

if you want lemon scent, after descaling you can use lemon oil, which is harmless to ebonite

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I have used half malt vinegar / half water to remove calcium. Soak for 10 minutes and then do the standard soap and luke warm water wash. Works like a charm.

If you insist on lemon juice, I would dilute it with to 50% with Tres Generaciones.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
nothing pedantic about it, just informative. Lemon juice contains 2,5% (average) of sugars.

if you want lemon scent, after descaling you can use lemon oil, which is harmless to ebonite
Just kidding about the lemon scent. Well I'm not going to insist on the lemon juice and since I don't play a hard rubber mouthpiece I've never done it anyway. Just saying that if you have a lemon handy it'll work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleaned it today.
I washed my mouthpiece out with cool soapy water, and it came out clean.
I used vinegar (soaked for 4 and a half minutes) and 95% of the calcium came off.
Wiped it off with Q-tips.

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
For the exterior, after cleaning with the methods above, use 2000 grit sandpaper, after that, polish with a fine rubbing compound (white one) and a soft T-shirt cloth and finally liquid wax (the one you use in car polishing). Your mouthpiece will look as new!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Vinnegar works great. I've left ebonit and metal pieces in white vinnegar for hours and I have not seen any adverse effects. Of course these days I don't let the gunk build up. Preventative methods are always best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts