Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. It's a long story but to summarise, a drunk punter fell on my saxes at a gig a week ago and ruined my alto sax and tenor Boss 9* mouthpiece. I tracked down a used Boss 9* a couple of days afterward that had been refaced but the reface had severely messed up the sound and so my tech adjusted the facing curves.....which restored the unmistakable Boss sound. However, the altissimo range on the piece is VERY difficult to produce i.e. I used to be able to hit everything with 95% accuracy (with the occasional split tone) on my old Boss but on the new piece, my accuracy has decreased to around 40%....yep, just 40%. I also own a Guardala SuperKing and a Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 and altissimo on those pieces is still a piece of cake, so the problem isn't me. I'm wondering if the refaced facing curves are responsible for the considerable difficulty with altissimo on the refaced Boss.

I've been researching mouthpiece adjustments and altissimo this morning and found a thread where MojoBari (Keith Bradbury) says that if the facing curve is too flat near the tip rail, this will negatively affect altissimo i.e. a little more curve near the tip rail will greatly help.

I've got a line on a couple more used Boss mouthpieces but before I toss out the refaced Boss and buy yet another one, does anyone have thoughts on mouthpiece adjustments that may improve/restore the altissimo range on my piece?

Cheers
Gary

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
Hi Gary,
You had told me that the guy who refaced the one you tracked down, put a REALLY short curve on the piece which makes no sense at all, and that the baffle was taken down. Thats two strikes already.
That piece needs a longer curve and the baffle was great originally, allowing for excellent altissimo. Anytime someone messes with that stuff, it can be a disaster. You told me that the person before put the facing curve length in the high 40s. That’s not good for that type of mouthpiece with a big tip opening and high battle. A 52 length is a good match with that piece. Possibly even slightly more, but not shorter.
Hopefully you’ll get that Boss 9 we talked about. It hasn’t been messed with, and that’s a better place to start.

When I put out my Generation ll metals, I’m planning on bringing back that Boss model. We will make the adjustments needed from where Eric had it, to make it better than ever. No ultra thin side rails and tip rail.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark. Yes, the used Boss 9* that I bought had been refaced with a shorter facing curve....my tech then refaced it again with a much longer curve taken with the measurements from my old, damaged Boss i.e. 54 (it definitely wasn’t 52...we measured it several times) The second reface returned the Boss sound but altissimo is a major issue. If I can get that piece into a decent player, I can either sell it on or use it as a backup piece. I hate having a mouthpiece that’s in “no man’s land”....I’d rather do something with it that makes it useful to me or someone else.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Maddcow,
over the years I had many mouthpieces made from reputable craftmans.
I didn't always get on well but if there's one thing I've never done is to alter, or send to another tech for refacing,
a mouthpiece which has already been perfected by a craftsman
if you don't like it and it doesn't meet your personal tastes simply sell it but leave it all original

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Hi Mark. Yes, the used Boss 9* that I bought had been refaced with a shorter facing curve....my tech then refaced it again with a much longer curve taken with the measurements from my old, damaged Boss i.e. 54 (it definitely wasn’t 52...we measured it several times)
So you have TWO buggered Bosses??? :shock:

The second reface returned the Boss sound but altissimo is a major issue.
That's what happens when you muck with the facing and baffle.

If I can get that piece into a decent player, I can either sell it on or use it as a backup piece.
If you are honest about it, I don't know why anyone would want a piece that has been defaced so many times. Thank goodness that the current policy in the Marketplace prevents anyone from commenting on a sale. <sarcasm>

I hate having a mouthpiece that’s in “no man’s land”....I’d rather do something with it that makes it useful to me or someone else.
"Useful" would be putting a nonskid surface on the table, and using it for an artful doorstop.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Dr G, I have two buggered Bosses. The first one was ruined when a drunk punter fell on my horns at a gig a week ago. My alto sax was also written off, my tenor sax damaged and my alto mouthpiece also damaged. I’m a fulltime sax player and can’t afford any downtime so in my need to get up and running ASAP, I thought I got crazy lucky and bought a used Boss mouthpiece in the same tip opening (9*) that had been refaced by a well-known refacer in the US....I was desperate because my Boss 9* was the best tenor piece I’ve ever owned and they’re no longer made. However, the refaced piece sounded and responded nothing like a Boss and my tech offered to try and help me out by refacing the facing curves so that I could continue to gig until I found another piece. My tech did what he could at very short notice to try and help me get back into the game but as I’ve mentioned, I’m not happy with altissimo on the replacement piece. I posted here to see if there’s anything I can do to try and make the $$ I spent on the replacement and the refacing worth it. I’m not made of money, I don’t have time to faff about with trialling a zillion mouthpieces and Australia is the arse end of the world when it comes to mouthpieces. If you like Links and Meyers, you’ll be ok but there’s not much else around, especially in tip openings larger than a 7 or 7*. If I could have afforded it, I would have jumped on a plane and gone to the UK or US to try a bunch of mouthpieces that players in those countries are so lucky to have access to.

If anyone has any constructive advice, I’d appreciate it. If this piece is a doorstop, so be it....I’ve tried my best to turn a lemon into lemonade. I’ve read a number of posts here today where pieces have had multiple refacings and turned out ok, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I’d never, ever rip someone off and try to sell a dud piece and that’s why I thought it worthwhile to try and find out if there’s anything I can do to not have wasted my hard-earned money and at least get a reasonable backup piece.

That’s the long story.

·
32,933 Posts
Yes Dr G, I have two buggered Bosses. The first one was ruined when a drunk punter fell on my horns at a gig a week ago. My alto sax was also written off, my tenor sax damaged and my alto mouthpiece also damaged. I’m a fulltime sax player and can’t afford any downtime so in my need to get up and running ASAP, I thought I got crazy lucky and bought a used Boss mouthpiece in the same tip opening (9*) that had been refaced by a well-known refacer in the US....I was desperate because my Boss 9* was the best tenor piece I’ve ever owned and they’re no longer made. However, the refaced piece sounded and responded nothing like a Boss and my tech offered to try and help me out by refacing the facing curves so that I could continue to gig until I found another piece. My tech did what he could at very short notice to try and help me get back into the game but as I’ve mentioned, I’m not happy with altissimo on the replacement piece. I posted here to see if there’s anything I can do to try and make the $$ I spent on the replacement and the refacing worth it. I’m not made of money, I don’t have time to faff about with trialling a zillion mouthpieces and Australia is the arse end of the world when it comes to mouthpieces. If you like Links and Meyers, you’ll be ok but there’s not much else around, especially in tip openings larger than a 7 or 7*. If I could have afforded it, I would have jumped on a plane and gone to the UK or US to try a bunch of mouthpieces that players in those countries are so lucky to have access to.

If anyone has any constructive advice, I’d appreciate it. If this piece is a doorstop, so be it....I’ve tried my best to turn a lemon into lemonade. I’ve read a number of posts here today where pieces have had multiple refacings and turned out ok, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I’d never, ever rip someone off and try to sell a dud piece and that’s why I thought it worthwhile to try and find out if there’s anything I can do to not have wasted my hard-earned money and at least get a reasonable backup piece.

That’s the long story.
I am sorry for your pain. Really.

The ideal situation would be to work with Mark to get your piece(s) restored. Easier said than done if the tip and baffle have been altered too much.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the last week and a half has sucked big-time: dealing with insurance people, trying to find a new alto, trying to find a tenor mouthpiece and trying to find a decent alto to borrow for gigs. After many, many hours online, about 60 phone calls and innumerable emails, I managed to find a new metal Boss 9 in a little store interstate (it had been sitting there for about 2 years). It should arrive tomorrow and might do the trick but I was just seeing if anything could be done about the used, refaced Boss I bought in desperation. If not, so be it...I tried and have at least been able to do 4 gigs on it. Better than nothing.

Mark has been fantastic and very patient with my dozen emails and a very long international phone call.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been in touch today with Keith Bradbury (Mojo) to see if he can restore my damaged Boss and he thinks it can be fixed. After this experience, I’ve learnt that I need a decent backup piece that I’d be happy to gig on.

·
32,933 Posts
I’ve been in touch today with Keith Bradbury (Mojo) to see if he can restore my damaged Boss and he thinks it can be fixed. After this experience, I’ve learnt that I need a decent backup piece that I’d be happy to gig on.
That sounds promising.

I, too, have arrived at a similar point. After playing too many mouthpieces over the last couple decades, and selling off most, I have endeavored to get a backup of each of my three favorite mouthpieces - Phil-Tone Intrepid 7* (tenor), Morgan 6C (tenor), and Phil-Tone Sapphire 7 (sop). If my favorite horn got cratered, I really don't know how I could replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts