Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two mouthpieces that I recently received in trades, a modern tenor STM 6* and a Morgan Jazz 8M. The STM is very very good with a nice even facing and rails, it does look a bit older, the rhodium beneath the gold plate is comes through. I know that Morgans have excellent HR formula as well as handwork; I believe this one is one made by the man himself, serial range 25xxx. All are played with a JAVA 3.

Link:
-A good ol' standard on tenor. This one's better than most stock ones I've tried, feels very even and broad. Has a nice breath to the sound too, sounds like a mix of Rollins and Getz. More quiet and dark than the Morgan. Altissimo is not quite as easy but still full. I always feel comfortable on this piece, and I can see it being used anywhere, from soloing to background cues. Playing this with a Selmer 404, these two products were meant to go together.

Morgan:
-Increased opening takes a little to get used to for intonation. When returning to the Link, it's easy to feel "limited". Has more edge and brightness or pop, but not quite as homogenous up and down the range of the horn. Better projection with more focus, but has less breath in the sound. Seems more like a Meyer in design than a Link. I don't know where I'd use it, but it sounds excellent for what it is. Playing this with a Rovner Dark, the profile is a little slim for a HR piece.

What are your experiences with these two pieces vs each other? What do you prefer?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think Morgan mouthpieces are fantastic - while I don't have a Jazz for Tenor I have an Excalibur large chamber (8*EL - 105 tip), and I understand that the Excalibur has the same chamber as the Jazz, but a smaller body, ie an alto size body, so the walls are thinner giving it a more vibrant and punchy sound.
I recently bought an Early Babbitt STM refaced by Erik G to 105 - so the only comparison I can make of Link vs Morgan is between between these two.
The Excalibur is a cracking mouthpiece, great tone, punchy, fantastic spread to the tone down the bottom end, altissimo just pops out, and can play really smooth as well. But the Link - well, you just can't beat a good Link, and the EB STM I have is a really great Link. I play the Excalibur and think 'wow', then put the Link on and think 'this is it, this is what I want to play, this is the mouthpiece that gets me producing the sound I hear in my head' and I put the Excalibur back in the drawer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I've always liked my Morgan 8M as a well made versatile mouthpiece, but in ways I find hard to describe, my STM just seems more flexible and seems to have a more distinctive sound. That's just from the player's end; I don't know if anyone listening would perceive a difference in tone.

·
Banned
51 Posts
I LOVE my Morgan's! I used to play on an Excalibur 8EL for tenor. What a mouthpiece!after a few months of long tones it became incredibly flexible! Unfortunately I was looking for something a bit different so I switched to a 7EL. I liked the smaller tip opening. My teacher played on a Morgan Jazz 6L for a while and let me try his. I instantly fell in love. I bought a 6L and a 6M to try out later on. The smaller chamber took some getting used to but now that I've played on it for about two years now I'm stuck on the 6M till further notice. The uniformity in timbre is spectacular throughout all ranges of my tenor. I can't tell much of a difference between the 6L and 6M except that the 6M is a bit brighter and has a bit more wind resistance.
I've had a Otto Link Tenney Slant for about a year now and play it once in a while. It seems too dark for me, and a bit on the stuffy side. I've had people tell me that the morgan's are bright pieces yet I seem to get a dark tone out of it.

I have two 6L's and one of them got chewed up by my dog (what a horrible day that was). Immediately I contacted Eric Greiffenhagen (one of the Morgan company's mpc designers, and also part owner of Mouthpiece Cafe) and sent my piece his way. In a matter of days he fixed my piece up and sent it back! What a great company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts