Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my regular gig back in March, we started the third set, as we always do, with In the Mood. As we were about to play the ppp iteration on the out, an errant drunk swing dancer (male, about my size and weight), lost control and crashed into me, the music stand, shattering the light. Unfortunately, my YSS-61 was also in his path of destruction---he hit the sax stand, and ended up right on top of the horn. As is the case with drunks, he was fine, even though he hit his head. He got up saying "I'll pay, I'll pay." to which I replied, as I surveyed the lowerstack and HUGE dent right by the low B vent. "Well it ain't gonna be cheap". Next he offers me $100 bucks--to which I said, "no, I need your address and phone number, so I can send you the bill." He refused to give it to me. At this point, the bandleader called the next tune, and I stumbled through the rest of the gig. (It was noted that the two solos that are supposed to be 'gentle' solos I played were NOT gentle).

After the gig, I went immediately to make sure the sop would still fit in the case, since it was closer to being a saxello than a straight sop. It fit, sort of. In the meantime, my wife had gone over to ask for his address. She got a card from him, even though he offered $200 cash right there. It became apparent that the other band members were distracting me so I wouldn't go and 'talk' to him.

Anyway, I've had this sop for almost 35 years, and I bought it from one of my teachers, who has since passed on, so it has sentimental value.

So, I decided to send it to Tenor Madness. I received the horn back today. I can't even tell where the damage was!

I did spring for an overhaul, since I was already paying close to $100 just to send it. Randy and the guys at Tenor Madness do fantastic work.

Thanks guys!!!!!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Man, Hak.......That's great news about what Randy & Co. were able to do for you!

Were you able to collect?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, Hak.......That's great news about what Randy & Co. were able to do for you!

Were you able to collect?
Waiting for an answer, there. I'm not optimistic.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
If he doesn't pay within a timely manner for the damages I'll keep an eye out for you on Judge Judy.
She has no sympathy for drunks who don't pay for damage they cause.

Good to hear you got your 'friend' back in next to new condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Very nice that your horn was restored so well and you are so pleased with the work, Hak.
Good luck with the rest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Ya want maybe we get some of da boys and go lean on da guy a little?

·
19,202 Posts
Ya want maybe we get some of da boys and go lean on da guy a little?
You want to borrow my "Tool"? It can be very persuasive. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Yes, obnoxious drunks smashing into equipment at gigs is always something to remember to watch out for. I've had some close ones with horns on stands over the years and seen other people's equipment get wrecked on a couple of occasions. I'm not really sure what one can do to prevent it from happening.

Tenor Madness does great work and a nice bunch of people too.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
Yes, obnoxious drunks smashing into equipment at gigs is always something to remember to watch out for. I've had some close ones with horns on stands over the years and seen other people's equipment get wrecked on a couple of occasions. I'm not really sure what one can do to prevent it from happening.

Right, kind of like those signs near skyscrapers in cold cities that say "Beware of falling ice." So what are you supposed to do, look up so you can take a direct hit in the face and maybe put an eye out??

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Key the sob's car with a saws-all, Oops, did I say that?
I'm glad Randy came through for you. You know what I think of Randy and his work. I'm a tech, he's an artist!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Over thirty years ago a very similar accident befell my near-new Mark 6 soprano. It was repaired by Sydney master technician Tom Sparkes (of oboe fame).
Unfortunately the horn received further freight damage on the return journey. After further work I finally got back a better than new horn.
There was no compensation from anyone - especially the obnoxious drunk - for the first accident but the freight company covered the second. I have had my own insurance cover ever since.

·
19,202 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
Insure everything. I know there are musical instrument insurance companies but my homeowners company tagged a special articles policy on my sax for about 2 bucks a month. It is even covered for damage if my strap breaks and it drops...or whatever.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
What a drag to have to go through. Glad Randy was able to put it right for 'ya.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A good argument for insuring your horns for such damage. I'd have taken the two hundred cash though, as you're not likely to see a dime from such folks after the fact.
Probably not, but I am an all-or-nothing kind of a guy.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ms. hakukani says NO.:)

...although she admitted that it was cute...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts