Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a 7* STM Link currently, with no particular reed, but mostly v16s. The thing sounds overly dark and stuffy, while I like a big, bright sound.

Is there any mouthpiece that maybe I can look into trying, preferably under $400, that may give me a bright and fat sound with an easy low end??

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I play a 7* STM Link currently, with no particular reed, but mostly v16s. The thing sounds overly dark and stuffy, while I like a big, bright sound.

Is there any mouthpiece that maybe I can look into trying, preferably under $400, that may give me a bright and fat sound with an easy low end??
Instead of searching for a new mouthpiece, I would send your STM to a good refacer and tell him what you want from the Link.

But I guess it depends on what you mean by "bright and fat." If a good refaced STM isn't bright and/or fat enough for you, you might want to try a Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend. It's bright, fat, and powerful. That's just one suggestion, though. There are probably a hundred or so other mouthpieces out there that would also fit the bill.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or maybe search for one thats already been worked on?

Bright and fat....I'm a big Brecker fan, so I guess I'm looking for a tone slightly darker than his, with an easy low end.

I can nearly get the sound out of my current Link with a nice v16 reed, but I have to push it A LOT and it kills.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts

Bright and fat....I'm a big Brecker fan, so I guess I'm looking for a tone slightly darker than his, with an easy low end.

I can nearly get the sound out of my current Link with a nice v16 reed, but I have to push it A LOT and it kills.
...or buy a new stock STM 7* and send it to a refacer.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I think you would love a LAW LCD, I have one and it fits your description perfectly. But I'm not selling mine, no way. And these are very hard to find.
A good idea is, as has already been suggested, to have yours refaced, so you get a slight baffle in it. I have a Florida STM that was refaced by SOTW member Horned Toad and it's got the perfect mix of fatness and brightness for me. It is very close in sound to my main main piece, a Theo Wanne Gaia, which is perfect for me and easierto play in the lower register. But the Gaia is way out of your budget.
You can also try RJS reeds (or Vandoren Java - green), that will very likely brighten up your sound a bit.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Except someone might have asked the refacer to make it darker, or more resistant, etc., and so it might not end up being what you're looking for.

You might also consider getting a Warburton modified STM-NY. I have one and it's outstanding. It's one of the most versatile mouthpieces I've ever played.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some research.
The Warburton one looks nice, but isn't a STM NY supposed to be darker?
And I also came by Sakshama's Florida Links. Does anyone know how these play?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,713 Posts
The NY is a bit darker but more husky. Ive refaced many STMs and gotten more cut out of it. If that is not enough one can add an epoxy baffle to shrink the chamber.

I can make you a link like piece that have as much cut as you wanted. It is, however, hard rubber if that makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm not one of those who really fuss over metal or rubber. If it plays, it plays, whats the difference?

I'm not looking for a Link like piece specifically, more like a Guardala MB with a larger chamber and rounded baffle.

But how much would it be?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, I'm quite bad with words today....
I'm just saying I don't exactly have a design in mind. I'm not a pro player and therefore do not need to be extremely picky. I just need a mouthpiece that does its job and has a decent sound. If your mouthpieces work, I'll certainly consider. But, I do not know since I can't try them and have not tried enough mouthpieces to compare.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL . . . I didn't know we were talking Guardala-style pieces, either.

Alex, please disregard everything I said previously.
Not specifically talking Guardala. I mean, they are brighter right?

Maybe JJ DV? A used one?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Or perhaps the Barone NY? Isn't it the brightest of the three?
I think so. I haven't played a NY. I have tried a Hollywood, which is a brighter piece.

The Jazz is definitely brighter than a stock Link, but nowhere near the brightness of a Guardala.

I find that the Jazz brightens up nicely as it's pushed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
The Jazz is definitely brighter than a stock Link, but nowhere near the brightness of a Guardala.
The two Jazz pieces I've played were both darker than standard STMs, in my opinion. But I understand that Phil has made many brighter too. These are highly variable, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
If you want metal, in a Link-like shape, try a Ponzol M2. If you want to go hard rubber, try a high baffled RPC with a tip opening at least .01" more open than you're used to.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts