Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared these two? How different/similar are they? Thinking of around a 7 opening, using on vintage Conn stencil.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have not compared them head to head but I have played both of them. I would say they are around the same brightness to darkness ratio but the V16 has much more oomph or power. The HR* has a much smaller chamber than the V16. Not that the Vandoren's chamber is huge. I would say medium large v. medium small. Personally, I feel a medium large chamber allows more flexibility and can take more air.

Another major difference is the beak height. The HR* is fairly low and the V16 is pretty high. I don't know if you care but they will feel much different then each other to play.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just played several Tenor mouthpieces side by side and included a Jody Jazz HR and a V16 T7 (also played and Jody Jazz Classic and a V16 T6). The T7 was the easiest to play, I played it longed than any of the other pieces I tried as it was easier to play and the tone was even throughout the range. The JJ HR was nice too, but the T7 was noticeably easier blowing. Actually, I was surprised that I didn't care for either JJ, I expected to like them. By the way, I didn't buy any mouthpiece that day as my current mouthpiece, a Hite Premier, was still nicer than the other 7 I tried that day.

C

·
0 Posts
Another major difference is the beak height. The HR* is fairly low and the V16 is pretty high. I don't know if you care but they will feel much different then each other to play.
I would say the JJ HR* and the V-16 are very similar other than the beak height as mentioned above. I get pretty much the same sound from both pieces. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both pieces are excellent professional level mouthpieces, however, I would highly recommend both of these pieces to less experienced musicians who need a good starting point for a jazz mouthpiece.

·
2,829 Posts
both pieces are as said, good go to from a moving on "point of view , ive owned both and the JJHR to me was more huskier in sound , i found it a bit too much in that way, nice if you like the ben webster, sort of sound, sobtone was easy on it, not a lot of edge to it, a good piece.
THE vandoren had a bit more projection, and iguess it was a bit more versatile for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
... my current mouthpiece, a Hite Premier, was still nicer than the other 7 I tried that day.
I've been playing on the T7 lately. What is the difference between the Hite Premier and the T7?
I would echo Jazzcat's remarks. The JJHR was more breathy, or huskier, as he put it. I found the T7 to giver me much cleaner tone. I could also easily lip or bend my notes a bit on the T7 and still achieve other tones when desired. Of those I tried, the T7 was the nicest after the Hite. If choosing between the T7 and the JJHR I would have taken the T7 in a heart beat.

·
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading the comments, I made the extra effort to get hold of a V16 to try head-to-head with the JJ HR I already had. (Thanks, everyone!)

I have two tenors, and (surprise, surprise) the best on one horn was not the best on the other. My Conn stencil much preferred the Vandoren - richer, fuller sound, no noticeable loss of projection (in the limited situation of playing in the living room with my family around), while the JJ sounded okay, but a bit thinner. My Malerne stencil, which is already pretty mellow sounding, sounded sort of muffled and fuzzy with the Vandoren, but nice with the JJ HR, which added more clarity and focus. I'm going to have to play around with reeds some more, though, too. Interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts