Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i have a conn chuberry alto and looking to peak in to tenor land.
what would you suggest to get from similarly vintage instruments? (that does not require a bank heist)

im still a beginner, based in EU :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Stick with what you're used to. Get a Conn New Wonder series II tenor (late 1920s), or one from the Transitional period — say c.1931-35 vintage, or an early Conn 10M Ladyface, c.1936-37. I know they can be a bit expensive in the EU — but you can get a good serviced, relacquered one for around €2000 from Australia. Here are two my good friend Philip at secondhandsaxes.com.au has on his website at present. The descriptions are straight from the website and the prices are in Australian dollars. I've put the Euro equivalent after the Australian prices.

1927 CONN NEW WONDER-II TENOR Serial#205,xxx...CHU-BERRY...VERY GOOD CONDITION...FULLY REPADDED...EXCELLENT PLAYER... $ 2650 (about €1630).
1931 CONN TRANSITIONAL TENOR Serial#245,xxx.VERY GOOD CONDITION...FULLY REPADDED...EXCELLENT PLAYER... $ 3450 (about €2125).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
hi all

i have a conn chuberry alto and looking to peak in to tenor land.
what would you suggest to get from similarly vintage instruments? (that does not require a bank heist)

im still a beginner, based in EU :)
a) what is your definition of 'does not require a bank heist' ?

b) what is your definition of 'similarly vintage instruments' ?

Your OP is open to a lot of interpretation.

Personally, I am gonna give an opposite suggestion of Mr. Mike, although I understand the spirit of that suggestion.

If you already have a Chu Alto, which is a very good representative of a split-bellkey era horn....why not spread your wings a bit and get something perhaps of a later era ?

There were so many great, great models made over the past 90 years....I personally think buying the same or similar model just in Tenor form....really misses a big opportunity.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have an Elkhart made 1958 Shooting Star 16M tenor and am thrilled with it. All-in, after a full overhaul was about US $1,300. You can pick them up for between $500 and $750 in the US, if you can find one. Has a characteristic Conn Sound....and relatively cheap. The Elkhart 16Ms have the same body as 10M. Neck is not as fancy. Keyword might be a bit different......

1958 is at the very end of the Elkhart made Shooting Stars. There are a lot of good Conns from later years, but they were less consistent in build quality.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Stick with what you're used to. Get a Conn New Wonder series II tenor (late 1920s), or one from the Transitional period — say c.1931-35 vintage, or an early Conn 10M Ladyface, c.1936-37. I know they can be a bit expensive in the EU — but you can get a good serviced, relacquered one for around €2000 from Australia. Here are two my good friend Philip at secondhandsaxes.com.au has on his website at present. The descriptions are straight from the website and the prices are in Australian dollars. I've put the Euro equivalent after the Australian prices.

1927 CONN NEW WONDER-II TENOR Serial#205,xxx...CHU-BERRY...VERY GOOD CONDITION...FULLY REPADDED...EXCELLENT PLAYER... $ 2650 (about €1630).
1931 CONN TRANSITIONAL TENOR Serial#245,xxx.VERY GOOD CONDITION...FULLY REPADDED...EXCELLENT PLAYER... $ 3450 (about €2125).
+1 The only vintage horn I regret selling was a Conn 10M cir. 36-37 Ladyface.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Nothing, except that the original poster said he has a "Conn Chu Berry alto" and was looking for a tenor which would be "a similarly vintage instrument." I don't think that "a 16M or a late 10M" woluld fit that description. So I advised him to look at Conn tenors from the same vintage as his alto or in the 10 years following.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Nothing, except that the original poster said he has a "Conn Chu Berry alto" and was looking for a tenor which would be "a similarly vintage instrument." I don't think that "a 16M or a late 10M" woluld fit that description. So I advised him to look at Conn tenors from the same vintage as his alto or in the 10 years following.
Well, that's true, Mike.

But if a good Chu Tenor doesn't fit the budget, I can't think of anything closer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a)
around max 1500 €

b)
old sound saxes. I know that is very subjective and not very clear, but i dont know when I should draw the line.
maybe before 60s? but i dont know that much about saxophones... yet :)

I had Martins in my hand and my Conn. (and some clarinets before :) ) and I really liked these.
Conn felt more ... rough, scretchy but nice, Martins were more polished, directed.
I did not really like the modern sax sounds that much. From what I have heard. Too... even and... gentle? maybe even a bit sterile. To my ears :)

I was eyeing a 10m lady face lately.

What would be your suggestion for branching out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for these! they look amazing but not i my current budget. Especially with the crazy taxes :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an Elkhart made 1958 Shooting Star 16M tenor and am thrilled with it. All-in, after a full overhaul was about US $1,300. You can pick them up for between $500 and $750 in the US, if you can find one. Has a characteristic Conn Sound....and relatively cheap. The Elkhart 16Ms have the same body as 10M. Neck is not as fancy. Keyword might be a bit different......

1958 is at the very end of the Elkhart made Shooting Stars. There are a lot of good Conns from later years, but they were less consistent in build quality.
ill check some 16m if i can. any major difference besides the neck?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
a)
around max 1500 €

b)
old sound saxes. I know that is very subjective and not very clear, but i dont know when I should draw the line.
maybe before 60s? but i dont know that much about saxophones... yet :)

I had Martins in my hand and my Conn. (and some clarinets before :) ) and I really liked these.
Conn felt more ... rough, scretchy but nice, Martins were more polished, directed.
I did not really like the modern sax sounds that much. From what I have heard. Too... even and... gentle? maybe even a bit sterile. To my ears :)

I was eyeing a 10m lady face lately.

What would be your suggestion for branching out?
Just for the record, I don't believe in old sounding saxes. Let me see if I can make sense with this. The saxophone sound that is unique to an older saxophone is just the sound of that horn. It has nothing to do with the age, like a fine wine or something. A Conn 10M sounded just as great (depending on who was playing it.) back then as it would today. Now, for me there are a couple reasons I got away from the old horns. Most important is ergonomics. Comfort and adjust-ability are at a minimum with older horns and getting older I needed something more comfortable to wrap my hands around. Secondly, I got tired of being in the repair shop all the time. So, I moved on to modern horns and it was the right move for me. As far as my sound goes, I still sound like me because it's the player that makes the sound not the saxophone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for the record, I don't believe in old sounding saxes. Let me see if I can make sense with this. The saxophone sound that is unique to an older saxophone is just the sound of that horn. It has nothing to do with the age, like a fine wine or something. A Conn 10M sounded just as great (depending on who was playing it.) back then as it would today. Now, for me there are a couple reasons I got away from the old horns. Most important is ergonomics. Comfort and adjust-ability are at a minimum with older horns and getting older I needed something more comfortable to wrap my hands around. Secondly, I got tired of being in the repair shop all the time. So, I moved on to modern horns and it was the right move for me. As far as my sound goes, I still sound like me because it's the player that makes the sound not the saxophone.
its not about old sounding... but those horns sound better to me. its not about the age just how they are made. maybe design, material, idk. might be just my ears :)
and yes, i agree, the player is the most important part of the sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Yes/No.

There is a 'vintage tone' IMHO. The tonal paradigm of saxes shifted at the introduction of the Japanese makes to the world market. Whether it was solely because of this, or also because of the likelihood that that particular era also roughly coincided with popular music which required a brighter, more cutting tone...is something to consider as well.

So when I read what Feldon writes, I characterize that as a player seeking a horn with a vintage tone. Dark, a bit spread, and rich in overtones present...to choose some general attributes.

No doubt, the player makes the sound. But also no doubt that that player ain't ever gonna make a Yamaha sound like a Chu Berry or J. Keilwerth; of vice-versa. Because the tone is intrinsic to the design of the horn.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts